Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good DB stores in OREGON?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hateater, Aug 20, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I am in the market for a student level (3K tops) DB. I live near Eugene, Oregon, and I have no idea where I could go to find a good deal on a bass. Anyone know of any good stores around my area that I should check? Portland?

2. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    in Portland. He's got dozens of basses and good prices, and he does great set-ups. 503-777-7027.

3. Hey Mike, I sent you a PM a while back; never heard back. Shoot me an email or something...

Sorry to jack the thread. :D

4. Tanglehead

Tanglehead

Nov 27, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    I'll second Pete's. It'll be worth the 2 hour trip.

t

5. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    Tom, I just tried to PM you, but it didn't work, so here you go: I sold the bass to Larry Zgonc for $4500. I didn't make any profit, but I got my money back. Larry might be interested; he seems to like his students to have big basses.

6. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the info guys! I will make my way out to Pete's either tomorrow or sometime this week. Much love.

7. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Is Pete's still the best bet in Portland?
    What about

Manselle's Music Shop Inc - www.mansellesmusic.com - (503) 659-9817 ?

Any other recomendations on the I5 corridor?

8. Pete's is a good way to go. I think Richard Moffett sometimes sells basses still (I got my beloved Shen from him 6 years ago.) But I thought Pete's was the only game in town. I know nothing about Manselles.

9. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Not a store, but Doug Heydon is a luthier in Springfield who keeps some basses in his shop. I bought my bass from him.

(541) 953-0575

Regards,
    Michael

10. +1 For Doug, He's a fantastic guy, a great luthier and usually has several good basses to play with.

11. Tanglehead

Tanglehead

Nov 27, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    I'd say Pete's is still the place to go in Portland.

Richard Moffett still does have some basses, but I don't know that his selection is what is once was.

Maureen Pandos has one or two usually, but Pete has a decent selection in all ranges and as was mentioned earlier gives every bass a nice setup.

If you can't find what you want with Pete, I'd also give Dan Schulte a call. He's a player/teacher who also dabbles in finding gems in the rough, having them restored and then selling them. He's not necessarily in it for a profit - I think he just likes having a bunch of different basses around. Just the week before last he brought a Juzek-like bass to an Orchestra concert I played with him that he bought off Ebay. It was a nice bass. He also helped me find my Pfretschner and had a couple for sale of his own.

If you want more specific advice, don't hesitate to PM or email me.

Best of luck,

Tanglehead / Brian Casey

12. james condino

james condino Spruce dork

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I'll give a thimbs up for stopping by Maureen's place. Very cool chick and you can get a fantastic meal across the street at Nicholas.

If you are going to the effort of driving up to Portland form Eugene, I'd say make a day of it and drive up to Hammond Ashley in Tacoma. Dozens of basses in all price ranges; pretty much the bass nerd's candy store.... you'll also be able to hit a few other shops while in the Seattle area. Go to both cities and that will make for a great bass weekend.

j.
    www.condino.com
    j.

13. james condino

james condino Spruce dork

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The other great thing about visiting Maureen's place is that you can visit with a giant while you are there; Glen Moore, the bassist for the band Oregon, has a studio right next to her shop in the same building. He is very approachable and friendly when he is in town. He'll talk your ear off about basses and let you check out his.

j.

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Four great names mentioned in today's posts alone... Glenn Moore recently had a bass for sale on craigslist that was worked on in Maureen Pandos' shop...

Also, another vote for Pete Lampe as well as Dan Schulte... Short story... When my wife and kids presented me with money to buy a DB, I scoured craigslist and came upon two that Dan had for sale. When I got to his place, we talked and I told him that I was a neophyte and didn't really know what to look for. He took the time to walk me through some finer points and actually told me that the basses he had for sale weren't really right for me, (even though I had cash in my pocket and was itching to buy!!)... He then calls Pete Lampe and tells him he will be sending me over the next day to look at some basses, about how much I had to spend, and asks him to treat me right...

Next day, I head to Pete's, look over several nicely setup basses in my price range, and walk out with my bass and Pete's assurance that if I find any issues with the setup in the next 90 days that they're covered... A year later, when I brought it back in for some totally unrelated work, Pete just did it and called it a warranty repair. Wouldn't take payment!

These are two guys who I have found to be very honest... One refusing to take advantage of a newbie cause he would rather see a happy bass player, and another performing a repair for free because he felt it was right... Some folks just rock!!

-robert