Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good jazz/funk tunes for a beginner bassist?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jdg, Feb 11, 2004.

1. jdg

jdg

Feb 11, 2004
    I've been playing the bass for a week now and I love it. I'm picking it up pretty fast because I've also played guitar for a few months. But I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good jazz/funk basslines that I could try?I need some stuff to play when I get bored of scales :) for me, learning bass was always about funk and jazz :D

Thanks a lot.

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    A classic line to get you started would be something like "Chameleon" of Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" record. The bassist, Paul Jackson, uses some kind of effect on his bass , but picking the bass line out by ear shouldn't be too difficult. It's a pretty fun line to play... was to me when I was a beginner.

/lovebown

3. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    sly's 'if you want me to stay'

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Eddie Harris "Listen Here"
    Stanley Clarke "School Days"
    Sly Stone "Thank You Falettin Me Be Myself"

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sex in a Pan

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Gotta go wit da Godfatha of soul, Mr. James Brown himself! Hyah :)

Hot Pants / Get On Up / I Feel Good

If you can afford it, get "Standing In the Shadows of Motown". It's a breakdown of James Jamerson's playing complete with sheet music and play-along CDs. There's also a book like this covering James Brown's rhythm section, called "The Funkmasters: The Great James Brown Rhythm Sections 1960 - 1973". Good stuff in that book as well.

7. Herbie Hancock - Watermelon Man
    Herbi Mann - Memphis Underground

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    "What so Never the Dance" - Bootsy Collins

A nice cool funky little ditty. Good for beginners. If you have never heard the song, PM me I can send it to you. :)

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I just sat down and learned "Fire on the Bayou" by the Funky Meters. Technically very simple (not more than half a dozen notes in the whole song :)) but an excellent lesson in timing and feel. George Porter Jr. is a funk monster. :bassist: