Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good music stores for bass in N. VA?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I will be in Herndon, VA on business next week and I was hoping to scope out some music stores. Any suggestions?

2. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hey, i'm in n. va.

there's a mars out in springfield, and i think there's a guitar center in fairfax. there's a great joint in fredericksburg called melodee music, great selection of fenders, few odds and ends. atomic music up in md.

3. Chuck Levins Washington Music Center is the best music store I have ever been in, and their prices beat any other store in the country.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, there are the megastores, Mars and Guitar Center in the area. I'm assuming that you are not interested in these, as they will be pretty much the same as you're used to.

There are some local stores that you should check out.

Classic Axe in Manassas is the number one shop you should visit. They are a small privetely owned shop with a great enthusiastic owner, Russ. Tell him Peter's brother Phil sent you (seriously). You'll see some very sweet Schecter USA custom shop basses there (I like the honey ash 5 string), a few extremely nice G&Ls, a brand spankin' new Rickenbacker, and an Arctic White NOS Hamer Cruise Bass 5 Fretless with a 2Tek bridge that I've had my eye on for quite some time. Also lots of high quality low price Dean basses (he sold the Czech ones that he had I think), Schecter Diamond Series, and strings. If you're lucky he'll have a Tacoma Thunderchief ABG for you to try out (there was one there last time I was in). If you like fretless ABGs ask to see the Takamine that he has hidden away behind the counter. Just take the Dulles Toll Road to 28 South towards Centreville and take 28 straight out past Centreville. Classic Axe is in a little strip on the LEFT near Law's Auctions. They have two storefronts.

Another local shop that I like is Melodee Music in Sterling. That's where I found my NOS Palaedium many years ago. They carry Peavey, Fender, Gobson, Ibanez, etc. Much like a megastore but privately owned. Take the Toll Road to 28 North, make a right at 7 (I think it will be 7 South, not sure) towards Tyson's Corner. Melodee will be on your LEFT, it's a big building you can't miss it.

Chuck Levin's is another good local place to go but it's a bit of a haul around the Beltway. I much prefer the more intimate Classic Axe. Chuck's is kind of a chaotic mess.

Classic Axe is the premier shop in the area as far as I'm concerned. They're great for basses, and if you like guitars you will absolutely be in heaven at Classic Axe.

5. herndon's my home, enjoy your stay. i always just go to the local guitar center.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks, guys. I will have a few places to definitely check out. Who knows, I may get some GAS and pick up a new bass! :D