Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any good new concert dvd's out?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by watspan, Dec 16, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'm always looking for good concert dvd's (example: Allman brothers Beacon, bonaroo 2002)

I feel uninterupted performance footage is essential--I hate when some dvd's interupt a song or performance with some interview or other clip--

any feedback on the Stones/four flicks; sheryl crow; walter trout; rage ATM, AC/DC, any others?

thanks

2. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

new concert DVDs:

Peter Gabriel
    Led Zeppelin
    King Crimson
    Rush
    Pink Floyd (re-issue "Live in Pompei")
    Tabla Beat Science
    The Who

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe the Chili Peppers might have a new one out. Although I could be wrong since they I know have a live CD out now and I might be confusing it for that. If you're into R.A.T.M. then I'd definately pick up the Battle for Mexico City which is a must have for any fan of their's.:cool:

4. Love - Forever Changes Live

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is this the band Love from the '60s?

Wattsline-
    The Deepest End cd/DVD set is very, very nice. Picked mine up at www.cheap-cds.com for about $20.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I second the Led Zeppelin and RATM DVDs.

Also, the new Our Lady Peace DVD is really good (even if there is a bit too much off Gravity for my tastes).

Another good one is Ben Folds Five - The complete sessions at west 54th DVD.

7. natethegreatno8

natethegreatno8

Oct 5, 2003
    the chili peppers dont have a live cd out...its just a dvd....its called "live at slane castle"....its absolutely fantastic. the best anthony kiedis has sounded yet. funky bass playing!!!

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    the new Pearl Jam DVD looks to be cool...if you like PJ that is.....

Linkin Park fans will prolly dig their new one as well.....this quote on the commercial sold me: "if you don't wanna be in the pit..........you better get out"...such winsome words....so smart.....wow!

-Mike

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes...& no.
    It is Love but this concert DVD is a recent incarnation of the band. Too bad, IMO.

(And yes, it's come to this...I'm answering myself).

10. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd have to say, best live CD and DVD that has come out in a long time: Dave Matthews Band, The Central Park Concert.

3 CD's or 2 DVDs, and it rocks front to back. If your even remotely into DMB and havent seen or heard them live, do yourself a favor and check this one out. Best part is, the 3 CD's are about 13 bucks, and the DVD's are about 19. Not to mention that they finally turned up Stefan Lessards bass track a little bit :D.

Also, even though it has interviews in it, its always good to check out the Bela fleck and the flecktones: Live at the Quick. Interviews or not, its always a good time to check out mr. wooten.

I heard that the new Primus CD, Animals should not act like people, is really good, and I believe theres a DVD format too (with video, not just DVD-A). I haven't seen it myself, but im banking on christmas gifts :D.

-Chap

11. xhibit

xhibit

Mar 19, 2003
    Sweden, Rättvik
    the RHCP live at slane castle

12. It is different, basically Arthur Lee and backing musicians. But the backing musicians are AWESOME!! I saw them live last winter and it totally blew me away. I would definitely recommend the DVD, even if you are a bit sceptical about it :)

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    The Flower Kings - Meet The Flower Kings
    Rush - Live in Rio
    Transatlantic - Live in Europe.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Spock's Beard - Live in Holland

5 hours of sheer genius...

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Another vote for King Crimson's Eyes Wide Open.

In other Crimson news, they are re-releasing a few of their out of print '80s videos on DVD soon. Woohoo!

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, I looked for it...no luck.
    I did pick up something at Best Buy today-
    Prince Live At The Alladin Las Vegas.
    I caught some LIVE Prince thingee on Saturday night with Larry Graham on bass...hard-hitting '80s Funk the way I remembered it.
    So, I decided to take a chance on this LIVE Vegas thing with Rhonda Smith on bass.
    I'll check it out on Xmas morning. ;)

17. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i just got the Live at Slane DVD from the chili peppers, i think its great. they played awesome and flea was the man. off the map (from the californication era) was a pretty cool DVD, i actually like it better than Slane because I don't like some of the new by the way songs.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Picked these up for Xmas-
    Concert For George Harrison
    Chick Corea-A Very Special Concert...Corea, Stanley, Lenny White, & Joe Henderson; recorded in '82.
    Baby Snakes-Frank Zappa
    Live @The Aladdin Las Vegas-Prince
    Central Park Concert-DMB
    Complete Monterey Pop Festival

The Prince concert kicks. He has one Helluva band, they're tighter than a nun's crotch...they touch on Funk-Rock-Soul-R&B-Latin-Jazz. There's a cover of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"; the soloists are very "jazzy". Prince comes off a like James Brown...he counts off the breaks & tells so & so when to solo, etc.
    In spite of that, he's a fantastic guitarist; great rhythm chops + nice tones for his leads...ala Hendrix/Santana/Joe Pass. ;)

Monterey Pop is a 3-disc set.
    Disc 1 is the original theatrical release.
    Disc 2 contains "Hendrix At Monterey" & "Otis Redding At Monterey".
    Disc 3 contains the outtakes of Monterey Pop.
    So far, I've checked out Redding & the outtakes DVDs.
    Redding is happenin'...he's backed by Booker T. & the MGs(& the Mar-Keys' horn section). Plenty of Duck Dunn here; he plays his P-bass with the pickup cover on. You can just hear the professionalism & talent of these guys vs. some of the other Monterey bands; some of the other bands, though well-known, aren't in the same league with Redding, Cropper, Dunn, Jackson, & Jones.

The outtakes disc-
    The Association was a nice surprise; honestly, I didn't know these guys played their instruments. The bassist & guitarist do a nice job on "Along Comes Mary".
    The Mamas & Papas have a decent sounding backing band.
    Janis Joplin is unbelievable. Big Brother...a little raw but that's OK.
    The Electric Flag were happenin'. Bloomfield, Harvey Brooks, & Buddy Miles, et al are captured doing a Jump Blues tune(think a scaled down Brian Setzer Orchestra)...Bloomfield's tone is cool. Miles just rips.

DMB in Central Park...watched about 4 tunes. Easily the best recorded of what I've watched so far(Duh). So far, so good.

Hasta...