Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any good new punk bassists? I want to get some more cds...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassmasta05, Nov 22, 2007.

1. bassmasta05

bassmasta05

Jun 14, 2006
    Any good new punk bassists? It seems that a lot of the newer punk or emo bands have pretty "basic" bassists. Im always looking for cool bands to buy music from so any suggestions of any good new punk bassists?

I really like the bassist of Someday Never, you probably havent heard of them but if your looking for some cool new music, check um out.

2. Pyropig

Pyropig

Nov 23, 2007
    Check out the band Whole Wheat Bread. Their bass player is currently in jail, but there're a good punk band, i recommend them.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. How new? If you mean from late 90s onward I'd say Hot Water Music, who has been around. They disbanded a couple years ago and most members play as The Draft now, but there's a few reunion shows currently... Jason Black really knows how to stand out yet fit well in the pocket.

I also like American Steel. Their newest album is quite good and John Peck writes some good lines.

5. Rancid.

And thats pretty much the only "punk" band I even say because most of them beyond that are terrible imo.

6. I know it's not punk, but the bass player of Interpol does some really good things, a lot of his lines could be punk. Check him out.

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    well... how about not a new band at all, but a veteran punk act that just put out a record who just so happen to have always had amazing bassists? Talking about New Model Army -- they always had some interesting bass parts. The new record is called "High" and came out a couple months ago, though the band's best work (IMHO) was back in the mid to late 80's, though I can enjoy anything from their catalog.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    !!! (yeah, that's the band name) has some pretty cool bass playing, they're "dance punk." Along the lines of Gang of Four, maybe Talking Heads a bit.

9. Miser, a band from Dallas, is great.
    Daughtry (not punk, but has a good bassist)
    Angels and Airwaves has kinda stepped it up
    The Toadies(another dallas band from the 90s, my all time fav)
    Burden Brothers (toadies reformed, more rock)

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Wait a minute! I know he said new, but the first response to this thread should've been Minutemen.

So I will tell you, bassmasta05, listen to The Minutemen.

Also, Bad Brains get an honorable mention.

11. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Gimmick.

12. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    You are ignorant.

Like Deluge said, check out The Minutemen. Mike Watt, who used to have a forum on this thread, was the bassplayer of that band.

As far as newer bands, I happen to dig Left Alone's "Dead American Radio", the bass is really great on that album. The new Weakerthan's album "Reunion Tour" is pretty swell too!

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Not to split hairs here, but Daughtry is a far cry from what most would consider punk. It's like, the epitome of corporate rock... he was a finalist on American Idol and plays hard rock tinged with country. I'm not commenting on the quality and he probably does have a good bassist, but it's just not punk rock.

14. Too many different opinions of what "punk" is in this day and age to really narrow it done to one source. If you want a good bass player who throws down the "I don't give a $*#%" attitude of old while retaining the bubble-gum pop the Ramones brought out, pick up Death From Above 1979's You're A Woman, I'm A Machine.

15. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    they are good!
    not what you would expect

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ha ha

what did he do?

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    He rocked too hard.

Also, Spoiled Grape's band is pretty good.

18. bassmasta05

bassmasta05

Jun 14, 2006
    thanks for all the suggestions!

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, the word "new" is the third word in the thread, otherwise, watteroo would be at the top of the list every time. Same problem with Bad Brains.

20. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've got to echo this, even out of the punk context Mike Watt is the man.