Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any good source describing inlaying?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Demens, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Hey, been a while since I posted last, but I have been reading up on all the stuff here... and great work everyone!

Anyways, I am about to start work on another bass, and I was thinking of actually doing some inlay work this time. However, I have no clue about how to go about creating the inlay. I was wondering if anyone had a site that I could reference, or a book that kind of gives an overview of it... I can go an experiment if I just know a bit.

Thanks a lot!
    -Lloyd

2. dabber

dabber

Jan 22, 2001
    Florida
    The Art of Inlay: Design & Technique for Fine Woodworking
    by Larry Robinson

over 100 color pics and and covers all the topics involved in the process...I still haven't read it cover to cover because I keep looking at the pictures.

On a more expensive note, Stew-Mac offers a 3-dvd series by Larry. The video is not the best quality(I've seen it) and at $55 per dvd it's not cheap but you do get to watch him work and explain as he goes.

There's a Don Macrostie video($40) that is also not so hot in the video quality department but again you get to see the work and hear the explanations.

I've done a 2"x3" abalone/MOP hummingbird on a square of rosewood and I'm about to do my first work on a guitar...

The thing I learned quickest-keep the saw moving or you will
    break blades.

Oh yeah, WEAR PROTECTION, I inhaled just a little abalone dust and I felt sick the rest of the day, nasty stuff!

Good luck

3. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks a lot for the help... I will check out all this stuff.