Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Gospel bassists out there???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fLaT-fIfTh, Dec 22, 2004.

1. fLaT-fIfTh

fLaT-fIfTh

Dec 20, 2004
    Producer: GospelChops Inc.
    What is the best technique to study in order to advance in gospel playing? I'm a beginner considering Blues or Jazz since I can't find any material specific to gospel music. :crying:

Any advice or experience from gospel bassists??

2. Check out Ron Kenoly.

His bass player Abraham Laboriel is awesome.

Most styles are now being incorporated into a gospel situation now days.

Blues and funk with a touch of jazz and latin will enhance any gospel band.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Technique wise, I'd say fingerstyle will cover 85-90% of what you'd do in a gospel situation. After that, slap.

4. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    I'll assume that you mean black gospel here, so blues and jazz would be a good way to start. The big difference I've found bteween those and gospel however is that on some of the more upbeat double-time stuff, you almost head off into a sort of bluegrass/country feel, except that you're playing JAZZ walking basslines. If you can work on getting your walking basslines together, and getting some transitional moves under your fingers, then speeding them up for a snappy gospel number shoudln't be much of a problem.

Looking into some Motown stuff might be a good choice to. That will give you a handle on succinct but effective basslines, AND give you the feel for gospel tunes. Just remember, any gospel stuff that you play has got to ooze with attitude or sorrow. I na good way of course.

5. What DJ1 said.

Ron Kenoly does a song called "Ancient of Days" that has a great bassline. The version I have is live and has a section where the bass takes a solo.

His band is incredible.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Fingerstyle and slap/pop.

7. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Yes they are. As is Abraham Laboriel. I've heard him with Koinonia as well as own his solo album "Guidum". And while he may give good ideas and no shortage of techniques, I'm not sure he's the best choice for a beginner.

Andre Gouche who plays on TONS of gospel albums, including Mary Mary's "Incredible", and Andre Crouch's "Mercy"(check out 'Give It All Back') might be a better choice. While he can take it over the top if need be, he has a tremendous feel for the tune as well as being tasteful AND inventive at the same time.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I forgot to mention this in my last post: Jazz and Blues are not techniques used in music. They are forms of music. There is a very big difference. The technique is the physical aspects you used involved in playing the styles.

As far as good gospel goes, Check out some Brownsville Revival, A song titled "Enemy's Camp" has a smokin' bass line. Very much like Rocco would play one.

9. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Yes, take a look (read: hear out) the album 'Lift Him Up with Ron Kenoly'. Abrahams' basslines are great! I have been playing at least six of the tunes from this album including the "Ancient of Days" and I've learned a lot from that. You can also get the complete album transcription to get all the chord changes and most of the basslines.

Keep on grooving!

/MrBaloo