Any Graf artists out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pantsman, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Legal or otherwise! Show your work, once i get the scanner (2 days time) mine will be up too!

2. I quite like some of the artwork of graf artists, however I cannot find a decent reason to justify those stupid, pointless and damaging "tags" that are just everywhere.

Vandalism has no social conscience, IMHO.
  3. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    how about, because it's more pleasant than the stupid, pointless and damaging "advertising" that's just everywhere?

4. I actually enjoy well exectued tagging art, I like bomb style lettering, and well colored and realized flowing artworks. Lots of style, vibrant colors, and all that.

Someone mentionned somewhere recently that the town/city budgets call for skateparks, and basketball courts and the like, but no built-in media space for this type of art... If you're going to make a skatepark, make a hlaf-perimeter wall for graf artists to express themselves.

I'm not for vandalism at all, but I am for outlets of expression. Alot of tags only have so long a shelf long as artists don't step on each others toes, and recklessly paint over each others' works being spiteful, I imagine some real nice collaborations could happen.

I used to paint in my town's mural "collective". parts of a reinvisionment / cultural project. Backs of shop buildings. Some really nice work, bridging different facets of the town culture. A couple years ago some a-holes simply spray-bombed their names smack dab on the mural, nothing art-like, just messy tagging. Just to say they did. That I dont like.

Thankfully we had clear coated it years back, so the tagging came off, and a fresh coat or two of clear back on...until the next time...
  5. Some of them are really impressive, not just the artwork, but the placement. Like when you see a nice tag on an overpass going over a busy highway... that takes balls!
  6. Brisbanes 'Street Caligrophy' scene is in turmoil atm, someone has destroyed the works of one of the best artists in the city!

But yes, i am more offended by advertising than by tags, i also agree that vandalism is a bad thing, but people paint walls in solid boring colours, i hate that. About the legal wall idea at skate parks, it was tested here recently and it seemed to be doing very well, there were 20 people there (ranging from 16-mid 30's) everyday, everyone was getting along too. BUT THE GOT RID OF THEM!

Anyway, the thread is for posting your art, not yer bloody opinions, so i shall lead by example
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My friend's a real sharp street artist, ok at writing, but better at stickers and stencils. I'll try and get access to a scanner and put them up here, there are some pretty nice ones.

Around Providence, Seaz, Jumbo and Juner are/were the big writers. If anyone's driven through Providence before, about 2004, they probably saw the old Freemason Temple/Crackhouse that had been dubbed the 'Temple of Junerism', really intense stuff. Similarly, Drag has put a bunch of stuff up in some pretty crazy places. Some of his tags are messed up, but it's forgivable considering he was writing on the back of a traffic sign dangling 20 ft. above a 4-lane, interstate highway.
  8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Stakes are too high for me to get arrested now...but I still paint a piece occasionally (legal stuff only). I love the art aspect of graff...always will. Don't love the politics and bull*$# that goes along with it.
  9. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Sorry, I'm dumb..what is Graf art?? is it grafitti? I see some of you talkin about "tagging" thats a graffitti thing right? (we dont have a "street art" culture where I'm I'm curious).

Actually speaking of street art ...check this guys stuff out....3d street art..amazing!!

10. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Holy crap... awesome dude...

I actually enjoy a good art in forms of street paintings... somewhat what that guy does... even if it is illegal i think it brings beauty to the city... i cant stand tags though...