Any guitar player can play bass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by alembicbassist, Aug 19, 2002.

1. A disturbing story...

I have two sons. One, 15 yrs old, plays a stratacaster very talented, the other 12 years old plays bass, also good, (he has a greater sense of rhythm than me, can move faster and is more natural. I am more practiced).

Anyway, they both are in two bands. The first band did not play the kind of music that my younger bass playing son liked so he was not to commited. He got fired by the band leader after a while. (Band dissolved and reformed and renamed the next day). I asked my older son the other day who the new bass player was. His comment, " XXXX is playing the bass" I said, "I didn't know he played the bass." My son answered, "Any guitar player can play bass." AGHHH What have I been teaching this guy?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Sounds like youve taught him to be a guitarist :D
  3. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    well sure they can get by on bass...but can they reaaaly play it? :p

5. For stupidly simple music, yes, any guitarist can fill the bass chair quite adequately. Given that most teenagers' garage bands play either pop-punk or nu-metal, genres which--for the most part--can be described quite aptly as "stupidly simple," any member of the primate order can be brought in on bass.

Guitarists who think they can play bass tend to fall apart when asked to do anything but eighth-note roots, however.
  6. What Pete said.

You need to "re-program" your youngster.

And if guitar playing was all 2 string power chords and single finger barre chords off a drop D tuning through heavy mid scooped distortion, then even Hoppus wanna-be's can play guitar.
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  8. All guitarists can play bass as good as all bassists can play guitar.

9. Agreed!
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like that one.

Im pretty sure all of us realize this, but we sometimes seem to hold ourselves up as better than others, and think we are the best.

But I guess we are right? ;)

Mind if i quote it for my signature?

11. 'Tis okey.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks Dude!

13. quote:
    Originally posted by dudemeister
    All guitarists can play bass as good as all bassists can play guitar.

I agree with that one. I'll pass it on to my son for his education
  14. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    did you drop him on his head at birth?

15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Why not call him out on it:

1) Hand him a bass
    2) Ask him to play something
    3) Cover ears whenever fret noise is heard (ie, keep hands over ears)
    4) Roll eyes whenever cliche guitar run is heard.

He should get the message fairly quickly.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shouldn't it be, "All guitarists can play bass as well as all bassists can play guitar"?
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you lived closer, i'd let him try out on one of my basses. :D (evil laugh)
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im dying to!

Im actually looking into having a double 5 fretted fretless made for me, but havent really found anything yet.

19. Yes, but since I'm swedish I can get away with it. In swedish you can use the equivalent of both thanks to the modernisation of the language.

Edit: (I knew this would come sooner or later thanks to my post on the speaker endorsement thread...:))
  20. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Carvin use to make a double like that. (though I don't know if they came in 5 string models.) I don't think they sell them anymore. Must not have been a big seller.