Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any guitarists turned bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 27, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Why did you decide to pick up a bass? What are the personal differences of playing each instrument?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bass is much misunderstood by guitar players.

After playing bass for a few years in a few different bands, I can't help but hear and pay attention to the bass player now. To the point of near micro-management (I am controlling myself...barely). Bass ain't just playing the root of whatever the song is, it is so much more.

The bass controls the feel of a song. It doesn't matter what the guitar player's doin', if the bass player's in the pocket, the song will move.

If the drummer is out of it though, we're all SOL.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I was curious about bass. I picked up a cheap jazz copy and a peavy microbass and I've never looked back. I've rarely pick up a guitar since. Although I've been fiddling with open D tuning on my acoustic guitar alot lately.

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  5. Got a chance to get a cheap bass, did, and enjoyed it more than guitar . . .had only really been playing guitar for about 3 months tho, so, dont know if it really counts

6. Yup, me. But I still play guitar.

7. Needed another class in grade 10, my guidance counselor suggested band, I took it, they didn't need another guitarist, told me to pick something else, I picked bass, decided I enjoyed playing it way more than guitar and barely ever play my acoustic anymore(once every 8 months or so). That and having 2 other bassists in band was beneficial 'cause they helped me out with any questions I had for them.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Band needed a bass player I decided to play bass. I don't approach playing bass like I did playing guitar and I haven't played much guitar since taking up the bass 4 years ago.

It does help me to know what is happening with the guitars in the band though. I catch onto the changes faster than I would if I had no idea what the gui****s were doing. IMHO

tk

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    It wasn't my fault, I was confused at the time.

10. Whoever is trying to play bass like a simplified guitar is prolly gonna get disappointed, but I was at this fusion jazz concert once upon the time, and the bassist kicked some serious ass, even tho the guitarist was the main attraction.

I just went like "I didn't know you could do that on bass" and was sold basically :D

Still like the guitar as well, been pondering about buying a decent acoustic guitar after listening to all those Michael Hedges cds.

11. I'm a bassplayer turned guitar player turned bassplayer who splits time playing bass and guitar.

But my primary instrument is bass these days.

12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Pretty much happened with me about 12 years ago, but I still have my acoustic lying around, and play it regularly. I gave up guitar for an already existing band here in Minneapolis that needed a bass player. And this was after the singer and I did a one-off band project called Baked, Not Fried in where he left me not only to handle rhythm, but leads as well. He owes me one.