Any Headless Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Jan 2, 2001.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Wanted to started a thread for us headless bass owners. I want to hear from any Steinberger, Status, etc. owners. Maybe we can trade stories, pictures, resources and links to parts. I just scored my second Steinberger within the past month. I got a white XP with DB bridge and am awaiting a black XL-2 that I just got on a online auction. Do you prefer all composite basses or wood bodies/composite neck basses? I'm going to get some pictures up as soon as the XL comes and someone helps me to post my pics!
  2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    yeah,it would definetely be cool to see some pictures of headless bassists...:D
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i used to have a 4 string steinbeger, but i sold it. Couldn't get use to the close string spacing. And with that small body, the neck seem longer. Uncomfortable to be.

4. I still have my Riverhead Unicorn bass which I bought in 1984 and was my main bass for a few years. It's very well made and the tone is quite traditional despite its translucent white finish and headless look.

Dave Pegg from Jethro Tull used to play one for a while too.
  5. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Grrrrr I used to have a kubicki Xfactor bass, but sold it two years ago.
    Check em out
  6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Currently I have an XQ(composite neck, wood body) 5 string with the 3 band EQ and Basslines pickups and an XL 2(all composite) with volume, pan, and tone. The XQ is very modern sounding, and I thing that has to do with the pickups and the pre-amp, it's great for slapping and I have it strung with a high C. The XL 2 was my favorite for a while, and I played it at a lot of jam sessions. The bottom on this bass is really phat. I like the sound of it but haven't played it in a while other than when I need to pick up a bass at my office to practice.

These basses are great for traveling.

7. Hallo!!!

Yes. I have 4 headless basses, three of these are Status basses and the other is a custom bass made over here in England by a company called Heart Guitars (which are no more I believe). My headless Status collection (I also have two with headstocks!) consists of:

Series 2000 - #27
    Series 2000 - from around '91
    Series II - #190

I love the Series II - it has flame maple faced `body wings' and sounds amazing! The all graphite 2000 basses are very, very potent!!

I once owned a Steinberger XM-2 (the wooden bodied bass) and a Hohner Jack - the Steinberger played well but yes, the string spacing was a bit tight!! The Hohner was a bit of a cheapo but very well made for the money!

Here are some useful Status links:

6a, Commerce Way, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8HR. England.

Telephone : +44 (0)1206 868150
    Fax : +44 (0)1206 868160
    e-mail :

Contacts: Rob or Dawn

This is the Yahoo Club I set up for Status basses - you are more than welcome to join - the club is officially endorsed by Status (we get a mention on the Status site! and Rob visits the club to let everyone know of interesting developments!):

Hope this helps!

8. I used to have a "MF" (made by Michel Fournel in Montreal) headless bass. Truly a work of art. Bird's eye maple, 35" scale, ideal spacing for slap and that wonderful curved body. I would put the bass in any position, take my hands off and the bass wouldn't move a millimeter. Simply the most comfortable bass I've ever played with. Putting the strings on were a pain in the ass though.
  9. shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Long time lurker finally posts!

Headless basses are my passion. I have a Steinberger XL-2A, a XP-4, and a Yamaha BX-1. I have also owned a Riverhead Unicorn and a Hohner B2-A.

IMHO, my XL is the most versatile bass I own. I can get the thick bottom of a P-bass to the bright growl of a Ric out of it. A truly phenomenal bass.

My long term goals are to pick up a Warwick Nobby Meidel, a PBC, and at least try out the old Ibanez headless.

Glad to hear there are at least a few headless fanatics running around!
  10. Hi!

One bass I should have in my collection of 40 basses :p (poser? yes, perhaps I am!) is the XL-2 - I have never actually played one and yet it is a classic bass!

The Warwick Nobby Meidel - interesting! There was one for sale at the Basspalace ( not sure if its still there!

11. shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    That Nobby is gone. I forgot to mention that I also owned a Kramer Duke, my 1st headless and the reason for my obsession. Fun bass, sounded good but a bugger to keep in tune.

I've also checked out the Washburn Status bass. Not too impressed by the sound or the feel. Don't know how the real ones play, but I'd love to find out.

Doc, I guess I'm kind of an amateur poser with only 9 basses. But I'm working on it!
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I have an 80's Washburn headless Bantam bass. It plays AND sounds great....a nice warm tone...:)
    It is very comfortable to play and I especially like the light weight. I also had a fretless model, but foolishly sold it...:(
    I still would like to get an original Steinberger...and before the prices get too out of hand...:)
  13. Hallo!

The Washburn Status was licence built and did feature Status hardware and pickups but that is where the similarities end! They were known as the `Series 1000' and featured wooden bodies and necks; the fingerboard was made from `carbonite' which was similar to the phenolic boards found on the Status instruments.

The Washburns represented very good value for money, however, the `real' Status basses (graphite necked) are in a different league - if you get the chance to play one, do so! You will want to buy it!

I recall seeing a twin-necked Washburn Bantam headless back in the early 80's in a magazine review - it looked incredible and got a very good write up! I like the slight variation in body shape with the lower `portion' of the body being brought further back than the top side!

Great thread! Viva les headlesses!

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own two Steinberger L2 basses (one is fretless). My daughter plays a Kramer Duke that I bought for her.

I think headless basses look pretty silly but the Steinbergers have so much going for them who cares.

15. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I have a Westone Rail bass that is headless. It's my lightweight back-up bass.
  16. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I just got into the Steinberger thing this last summer. An XM-25 in June and an XL in December. I think they are extremely versatile basses and get a bad rap as only an 80's cover band instrument.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the headless thing.

17. shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
  18. Wow!

Thanks Shakey!

They have another Bantam in too!

19. My headless is a Shaffer and Sons this is a bottom of the line bass. When I bought it for $40, I just played it with out an amp. It now has (on the bridge end) four Sperzil tuners and has a Carvin Jazz humbucker. This 31" scale bass alternaty has been a piccolo a tenor and regular tuning. It is now used as a back up bass when gigging. Fortunatly nothing has happened that ever required its use as a backup. And its final use is a practice bass when I go camping. Even though it was a cheap bass it really plays good intonates perfectly and has a great sound. The only problem is you get kidded a lot when you play a headless.
  20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have a Kubicki Blaster Bass. No that's not a typo. I bought it in Japan and emailed Phil Kubicki about it. It turns out he was planning on selling import models to Japan, and made the Blaster as a prototype. The plans for the import models got scratched and one of his employees stole the bass, and now I have it.
    Its not as good as an ex-factor but it gets the job done. And all I've ever recieved about its appearance, playability and sound is compliments.