1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any healthy recipes in the TB community?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Jul 29, 2012.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Being an ExPhys major, I've fallen hard into the fitness world. The main thing that I've been struggling with is finding alternatives to the "chicken and broccoli" meal.

I have a few that I've found, but the details aren't quite right in my head so I'll have to update later. One of my new things is overloading veggies with some olive oil, tons of fresh garlic and a pinch of Parmesan cheese. Baked on a tray at 400 degrees, until a fork easily pierces the veggie or it is cooked to whatever you desire. Amazingly easy, cheap and tasty.

Anybody have anything?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I've heard that Bacon is full of nutrition.... ;p

Seriously, halve a tomato, sprinkle herbs, etc. Parmesan and bake. Just a side... great with salmon.

3. Hi.

No, not really.

;).

Regards
    Sam

4. take your favorite sausage. i prefer sweet italian, put in a glass backing dish. dump an entire bottle of gazebo room greek salad dressing over it, cover and bake at 350 for an hour.

oh healthy, switch it to gazebo room LITE greek salad dressing and add some green peppers and red onions

joking aside its a yummy recipe.. def use the light and add the peppers and onions the regular is too salty

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Use Quorn mince (or some other soya or mycoprotein substitute) in traditional dishes like chilli, bolognese, cottage pie etc. Tastes great and you don't get that layer of grease coating your gullet.

6. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Red onion
    Kale
    Baby portabellas

Not sure the correct term but put kale in pan cook half way. You can add just a touch of water to help it steam. Add onions cook for a few minutes then add mushrooms. You also add a little butter if you want. Salt, red pepper flakes.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Hm, some good responses so far. I might catch myself making them this week.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    During the heat wave I was loathe to fire up my oven, so I lived off of my charcoal grill.

One of my favorite things, (I just made some last weekend) is grilled veggies on a bed of couscous.

Peel and eggplant or two, slice about 3/8" thick, and marinate in Italian dressing along with portabello mushroom caps and bell pepper , and sliced zucchini.....

Throw then on the grill until they're done, place on a bed of couscous, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts, goat cheese, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and THROW DOWN!!!!!!

Man! I'm hungry now!

9. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    1 cup of quinoa (rinsed well-very important)
    2 cups of vegetable broth (with a bit of "Better than Bouillon" vegetable base added)

Put them in a pot, bring to a boil, lower heat, simmer with a lid on for 15 mins. Take off heat and let stand for 5 mins.

While that is cooking......
    Large dice an onion, sauté it in a frying pan or wok with a bit of healthy oil (not too much)
    coarse chop a carrot or two and throw that in, stir
    coarse chop some broccoli and throw that in, stir
    coarse chop some cauliflower and throw that in, stir
    add any other coarse chopped veggies in but don't crowd the pan too much. Keep stirring occasionally, keep veggies crunchy.

mix up 1 cup vegetable broth (with a bit of "better than bouillon" vegetable base added)
    Stir in some corn starch - about 2 or 3 tablespoons? (not sure how much exactly I don't measure...more = thicker sauce)
    add soy sauce until the colour changes to a light brown (somewhat like coffee with milk?...again I don't measure it - too salty and you've added too much)

Ok, you've been stirring the veggies still, they are browning but not burnt. Add the broth and cornstarch mixture to the frying pan or wok and stir it into the vegetables. The heat should make the sauce thicken.

Serve vegetables over quinoa.

This is easy and fast and tastes good

If that was too much work just take a can of chick peas, dump them in a bowl. Pour Pace brand medium salsa (or your favourite) over them. Eat. That's pretty fast, healthy, and tastes good too.

10. We had chicken pitas tonight with tsatziki. Pretty easy and super awesome!

Tsatziki: Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill and salt/pepper to taste. Mint if you'd like, I digs it!

Greek Salad: Cucumber, onion tomato basil and feta

Chickens: pound your meat (heehee) and cut it into strips. Season with olive oil, lemon pepper and salt. Pan fry it.

Take these goods and put them in a whole wheat pita!

I like to make the tsatziki a day or so out to let favors cross-mojinate. Leftovers are great with pita chips.

11. Kosher Dill Pickles.

1 Quart:

Cucumbers (as many as will fit in the quart, usually 2 about 8" long halved and quartered)
    14oz. water
    7 oz. vinegar (white 5%)
    4 tblsp canning salt
    1 clove garlic (chopped or minced)
    Pinch of red pepper flakes (1/8" tsp)
    4-5 dill heads

Brine: bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil and dissolve the salt. Lower heat, keep hot.

Jars: pack dill, garlic, red pepper flakes and cucumbers into jars, keep cucumbers down near about shoulder of jar.

Process: pour hot brine over contents, leaving 1/4" - 1/2" head space. Put on lid and ring and hand tighten (not too tight). Submerse in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove. Let sit until "pop" and carefully re-adjust your ring.

----------------------

Or you can just buy a jar at the store.

:D