Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any help from Mustang knowledgable folk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeff62, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Hey all,

Expanding my horizons from guitar to bass (although I did originally start with a bass 20 years ago). With smaller hands, I really want a quality, short-scale bass. Something that plays well and is versatile with sound (I mostly play rock and blues).

I saw this ad here in the forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208967

Comparatively to other used (or new) prices, there seems to be a premium on this particular Mustang and I don't have the knowledge to udnerstand why. I appreciate comments from you folks. Soon, I'll be looking for amp help.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. 'Cause it's old! ;) Vintage stuff usually commands a premium price. That being said, it's not that vintage, but it is made-in-USA.

3. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Well, sure, it's a bit older, but it is CBS Fender so I'm wondering what is pushing the price. If anyone has experience with the playability and tone from this vintage Mustang I'd love to hear your comments.

4. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I have had several Mustangs and Music masters, and for really small stages they are great. Sondwise the Mustangs are far superior to the Music masters, and strung with something like 50-70-90-110 they pack a punch. The sound is different from a 34", but not in any way "bad".
    As for the 1978 Mustang, it looks to be in pretty good shape and, as someone said it is rather old. If it's worth the money only you can decide. 70's fenders are becoming expensive, which to me is strange. I mean, the only reson I played 70's fenders was because they were dirt cheap in the 80's.

But I wonder, how small are your hands? You'd have to have pretty small hands to not be able to play a 34" bass like a Jazz or MM Sterling.

5. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I've always had a bit of trouble with the reach on a 34" scale. I'm going to try and find a 32" this weekend to check for fit, but I know that the 30" will not be an issue.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    '78 seemed to be a 'banner' year for the Fender 'student' series guitars and basses... My '78 Musicmaster, while not in the pristine condition of this Mustang, is a fantastic player and sounds incredible, (subjectively speaking, of course).

I'm a large guy and am gravitating to the smaller basses to combat some arthritis issues... Unlike strummer, I've never found the Mustangs to be sonically superior to the Musicmaster... Different, yes, even within the same model. I myself prefer my current Musicmaster's tone, but it has been modified... If I had this little Mustang, I may prefer it's tone from time to time. I'm fickle like that!

This bass is local to me and his price has dropped a bit in the craigslist ads. It is in fantastic shape for a 27 year old axe, (a LOT better than I looked at 27!!) If I had the scratch, I'd jump on the current local listing...

-robert

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I've got several 32" scale basses and find them to be a really good alternative to choosing just long/short scale.
    Unfortunately they don't seem to be too readily available outside of Japan.
    One of the Fender's I'm probably going to be selling sometime soon and anyone interested in a medium scale Jazz Bass Special in metallic red with matching headstock keep an eye on the forum!
    Very light and sexy looking bass, just like the one in this icon! :bassist:

8. If you want to get a really nice short scale instrument, you might look for an old Stu Hamm Urge bass. They had a 32" scale I believe. If you want a decent bass but don't want to spend a lot of cash, I'd take a look at a SX bass. They make a couple short scale instruments and they are very nice for the price.

9. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

10. I've got a mustang and its a nice bass...but I wouldn't buy one for that price

Check out ebay and see if you can get a mustang, musicmaster, short scale bullet or a bronco for less...I know ths bronco is basically a squier-renamed musicmaster, but your only just getting back into bass after 20 years... I've had a few squier guitars in my time and they've been fine, so i'd have a look at the bronco on ebay...they may be cheap to buy, but whats wrong with having a backup for the mustang?

11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    You can also look at the newer Mustang Reissues that Fender makes in Japan. New they are around $600 and they are starting to pop up used for $400-450. Be aware that on the Mustangs the string spacing is tight so while the reach may be better for your left hand - you may not be able to fit your fingers in there.