Any help with determining if my Amp went to crap or if I blew the speaker of my cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berberdeng, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Berberdeng

Berberdeng Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Machesney Park IL
    Hi everyone. I just got my bass back from getting set up and I was so excited to play it but my amp is barely producing any sound out of nowhere. I just played a gig with it a couple weeks ago and it was fine. Haven’t turned it on since. (Shameful, I know)

I have a Peavey 405 amp head and a Carvin 1x15 cab. I tried different cables, different basses, different knob combinations. Nothing seems to help at all.

So the exact issue happening is there is no sound unless I hit the bottom strings really hard and then I’ll get an extremely distorted fuzz and popping sounds. It sounds like I have my ISP pedal on full blast.

Is there any indication with my information that it’s my amp or my cab? Any tips on how to diagnose or fix it? Thanks in advanced.

2. Plug a cord into your speaker and put a battery across the other end of the cord, if you don't hear anything it's probably the speaker, if you can see the cone it will either suck in or push out and stay depending on the polarity of the battery if the speaker is good. Do you have another cab to check out the head with?

3. Berberdeng

Jan 26, 2020
    Machesney Park IL
    I tried this and didn’t get any response from the speaker. Also when I play through the amp plugged into the speaker the cone doesn’t move in our out it just seems to vibrate.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    First, try the speaker with a known good amp. If it's bad, you need to assume that it's POSSIBLE that your amp failed and in the process damaged the speaker in the process.

Most techs will check out both pieces and repair what's needed. If the amp's ok, the cost to check it out should be minimal to nothing.

The reason for this is that IF the amp took out the speaker, the last thing a tech (or owner) wants to see is to replace the speaker, hook it up to the same amp and damage the repaired speaker. Most (not all) techs want to avoid this at all costs and will work with you to be sure it doesn't happen.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  5. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    If your amp has an effects loop, you can try two things. One, you could push a cord (1/4 in instrument cord) into both jacks a couple of times to see if that helps. The other approach is similar, try connecting the effects send and return jacks.

What can happen is that if those jacks go unused for a length of time, corrosion can develop on the little switch in them which disconnects the preampfrom the power amp when the loop is in use. I suggest this simply because it’s a common problem and quick and easy and cheap to check.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. Berberdeng

Jan 26, 2020
    Machesney Park IL
    I thought I’d give an update: Turns out it was simply a blown fuse that I didn’t know existed. $2 fix lol. Thanks for the tips though fellas. Cheers!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021