1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ntistt01, Apr 24, 2006.

1. ntistt01

ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Here is my setup,

Musicman Bongo 5, Demeter HBP-1, QSC PLX1602, Korg Rack Tuner. All plugged into Furman Power conditioner.

My problem is that I get little spikes that appear to be in my input chain where there is a loud hiss for about 1 or 2 seconds. This seems to only happen in Church. I"ve changed cables, plugged my power conditioner into another power conditioner and it's still happening. I thought it was power related but none of the other instruments are having this issue.

Could it possibly be the tube in my Demeter?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If its only doing it at church, It could be some funky room lighting or 110v supply problem.

Make sure there are no dim-able lights near you, or any where else in the building, they can do some weard stuff to some gear and nothing to others.

You could try moving your amp.
    Pick up 110 power from another outlet with a good ex-cord.

Try to eliminate or temporarily replace every item in your signal chain, one piece at a time, till you find it.

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Don't know for sure about QSC, but I know that some power amps (like my Stewart) shouldn't be plugged into Furmans because they essentially act as a valve that chokes off the amp from getting full power out of the outlet. I'm guessing that the hiss problem you describe has something to do with a dimmer switch though. I'd do some quick checking with an outlet tester to find out what circuits and outlets are connected in that particular room.

Actually, if it's only happening at church, who knows what THAT could mean...

Lonnybass

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Bypass the conditioner. Does the Demeter have a headphone out? If so, plug the pre directly into the wall outlet and unplug everything else except the bass. Does it still happen thru the headphones?

5. One other possibility...

Is your church near a police station, fire station, cab company or anyone else who may be using radio equipment?

Peace,
    S