Any Henry Cow fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Barkless Dog, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    A bunch of live Henry Cow videos are up on You Tube - Fred Frith has long been a big musical influence to me.

Anyone else fans?

TN WOODMAN, Bassist4Eris and Bob_Ross like this.
  2. I've never heard Henry Cow, just heard of them. I have the tow French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson cds. I had never heard of Fred Frith before I got these. I got them because Drumbo played on them and I'm a huge Beefheart fan. I will check out these videos when I get some more time, though. I loved the contributions of the other members of this band, especially Richard Thompson. He has a great voice which contrasts nicely with Drumbo's (John French).

3. I am a fan. Fred Frith is awesome at guitar and bass.

4. Noak2

Noak2

Jun 16, 2009
    Sweden
    Love 'em. Western Culture is an awesome album.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  5. I don't care for what they do, but I give them huge props for doing it.

6. Phil Zone

Phil Zone

Jul 29, 2009
    Montpelier VT
    Have you seen the box set???

Can't post a link because I'm new, but if you google you can find some info on it.

Wikipedia has a pretty long entry :

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The boxes are essential. HC was ground-breaking, in a number of ways.

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Huge Henry Cow fan here. The thing I especially loved about them is how they integrated a lot of the European improvisors' aesthetic (e.g., Derrick Bailey, Evan Parker, etc.) along with a healthy dose of 20th Century chamber music, into the Canterbury sound to create something that came across as being conspicuously more informed by musical depth without losing the charm and sense of humor of their contemporaries.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I first heard about Henry Cow back in the 90s, from reading The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play, a very strange book about Frank Zappa. I managed to find a copy of their Western Culture CD, and was instantly hooked. Later I also found Legend on vinyl, but it never captured my imagination to the same extent.

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yep; I always heard a strong Zappa(the serious, compositional stuff circa ‘70)influence in what they did. When they teamed up with Slapp Happy, the material was a little strident(although I loved the whimsical stuff like “Casablanca Moon” on the SH proper album). I have to admit that out of all the mid-70’s proggy Virgin bands, Hatfield and the North was my fave. Gong in there as well, but more because of Steve Hillage.

11. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I thought their first album was great, and the second was almost as good. Then I think they changed direction a bit and I did not follow them as closely. I did meet Fred Frith once or twice when he was in town - nice guy!

12. Nine year gap thread resurrection but I bit because I hadn't thought of HC since a friend in college(78-82) was big on them. Kudos on the reminder . Would love to check out that box set with older but fresh ears.

13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Admittedly I can never remember which of the first three albums is which, since they all have the same cover (!) but I think you're referring to their combining forces with the band Slap Happy for the third album In Praise Of Learning. I can definitely see how the vocals on that record are an acquired taste, but I (eventually) found that album rewards the patient listener with some music that's as engaging and riveting as the best stuff on Legend or Unrest. You just have to kind of wait for it. :)

btw, if you haven't heard it you should definitely check out their fourth & final album Western Culture. John Greaves had left the band by then, so the bass playing is split between Georgie Born and Fred Frith. Very eclectic and idiosyncratic, yet always immediately identifiable as Henry Cow.

Tony B. Filthy likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021