1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Herb Mickman Students

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Maaaven, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Maaaven

Maaaven

Jun 24, 2003
    Pasadena Area
    Is anyone in TB land a current or fomer Herb Mickman student?

TIA

2. I took lessons from him steadily from '79 to '82 and learned a ton! My lessons back then were all on a fretless P bass. I tried hooking up with him again in about '96 (this time on upright) but I just didn't have the time to devote to it (kids, wife, carreer etc) so I gave up (the lessons).

I still have my old folder with all my lessons and all the books we went through. I still practice a lot of the stuff I worked on back then - scale sequences, chord exercises - etc. I think he's a great teacher and I give him credit for helping me become a professional player.

Tom

3. I used to read his columns in Guitar Player Magazine on a regular basis. They were very thorough(sp?). I still use quite a few of the lines that he had in his articles. Being self taught I guess you could say that he was one of my teachers as a beginner.

4. I studied with Herb back in the eighties and went back a few years ago. BEST teacher Ive ever had (I had a few before him). Really taught me the ''fundamentals'' which is hard to find in a teacher, very patient, very flexible with my schedule too. He really gets you to know your fingerboard on both upright & electric and he has a tremendous ear. A great jazz pianist too. I highly recommend him! Mention my name to him if you wish.

Carlo Tanori

5. Maaaven

Maaaven

Jun 24, 2003
    Pasadena Area
    This forum knows all.

6. Wow... This is a true blast from the past! Herb was my teacher in the 70's. I was playing with Jose Feliciano at the time. Can't remember how long I studied; probably a few years anyway I still have the old flatback Chek bass he suggested for me. He was very cool although very dry. It was very hard to get him to laugh which was one of my main goals. He invited me to see him play with Nancy Wilson and I remember thinking he had a great tone. His approach, patience and knowledge proved invaluable. It is great thinking about him.

Trey Thompson

7. amadeusex

amadeusex

Aug 16, 2008
    Athens Greece
    I was lucky enough to have Herb as a teacher while studying at LAMA in 96-97. Late Dave Carpenter hired him i guess and he was our main teacher. Very nice guy, a great musician (also very good in playing the piano) and very funny.

When a fellow student asked Him what it takes to teach music, Herb walked back to the chair where he left his jacket and came back with a family supply of Advil (a popular painkiller in the U.S).

I still laugh remembering that !

8. I know this is an old thread but I just started with herb a couple of months ago. I'm having a good experience so far.

9. macteacher

macteacher Supporting Member

hi Guys, just resurrecting this old thread as I just ran across Herb's estate being sold off and donated as he passed in January.

I was able to grab some of his hand written charts and lesson plans that I'm going to work through.

I'll probably donate it to Los Angeles Jazz Institute afterwards as I feel like, besides his students, his life's work is in those binders.

He was a significant bass educator who taught many Southern California players and also was an accomplished pianist as well as a an educator on piano and harmony.

Here's the obit from AFM local 47 for those who don't know about him:

Final Note: Herb Mickman | 47 Blog | AFM Local 47

Groove Doctor likes this.
  10. I was one of his students while I was working with Jose Feliciano in the 70's. He invited me to watch him play with Nancy Wilson at the old Ambassador Hotel in downtown L.A. He was very dry but had some great insight into playing bass.