Any hockey fans?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Hey hockey fans, I was wondering if anyone heard about this.

I read a story in an ESPN about a kid named Jordan Tootoo, who is in the Nashville Predators minor league system. He is the first Inuit player (from Rankin Inlet, on the NORTH coast of Hudson Bay :eek: :eek: ) in the NHL ever (there is a 90% chance he will make the team next year)

They described his town: A few hundred people, one paved road, pure blackness in the winter and 24-7 sunlight in the summer. The kid used to shoot caribou with shotguns, cut open their stomachs, and eat the kidneys raw. His brother committed suicide nearly in front of him, he took on 5 guys in a fight simultaneously and broke bones on all of them, he lived out in -30 degree weather (no wind chill factor included) for several days with basicially no shelter.

Think he's tough enough to survive? He's only 5'9'', 195 lbs. He plays like he's 6'4'', 230. Slap sjot in the high 90's, people!
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    That name rings a bell - didn't he get called up for a bit?

As for the size, hey, Theo Fleury is 5'6" and 180! Go small players!
  3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Yeah, hocky fan and I have heard of him...Monster!!!!!
    :rolleyes: :D
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    small sometimes = speed (but not always!)

been a Pens fan forever...moving to Texas has put a hurt on my ability to watch them (bless you DirecTV!!)
    It's a great game with great athletes.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go Thrashers and Sharks!
  6. I watched Jordan play in the World Juniors and he was a fan favorite because he worked so hard. With a work ethic like his I'm sure he will make it regardless of his size.

They have no money up there for facilities and equipment. Some teams have to travel for several hours just to buy hockey sticks, and not every rink has a zamboni, which means they have to resurface the ice using a sort of hand held plow thingy which takes a very long time.
  7. Hockey fan (and ex-goalie) here. I haven't heard of Jordan Tootoo, but I might browse around the net and see what I can scare up.

8. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    <--- :bassist:

Can't say I've heard of Jordan Tootoo. Looks like I'll have to do some research.
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    He tore it up at the world juniors... Whether that translates into a good NHL career, we'll have to see...
  11. Steve Yzerman played his first game tonight after having his knee reconstructed and received a standing ovation when he came out for his first shift. I'm not a Wings fan, but I love Yzerman and it is good to see him back. Not only is he a skilled player but he is the leader as well the heart & soul of that team.
  12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    The Captain's Back! The Wings Are On A Roll!:cool:

Hey Thrash Jazz, the Eagle lands at the Joe on Thursday!
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The Finnish Hockey League being the second-toughest in the world, I don't follow NHL that much.. Some good finns playing there, though.

My home team is currently at 3rd place in the Finnish League, go Karpat! :D Should go catch one of their homegames someday, I'm really busy on evenings though :meh: