1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Hofner experts out there?!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by healz76, Sep 7, 2008.

1. healz76

healz76

Sep 7, 2008
    I've got a 60's era Hofner 500/1 Beatle bass I found in a swap shop a few years ago, but I have no idea about how to find out what year it was made, or anything else about it. Does anyone know how to check what year it was made? Can anyone please help me on this?

Attached Files:

2. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Steve Russell's Vintage Hofner Index : http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/cont.html

Antique Vintage Guitars collector info : http://www.provide.net/~cfh/index.html
    Although mainly guitars there might be pontetial for help. I've seen mention of Hofner basses there, if memory serves me.

Hillman Guitars 11: Hofner Fretless Beatle Bass : http://www.hillmanweb.com/hillgt11.html

Hope this gets you in the direction . . . you should be able to contact folks through these sites. Then head to google of course. . .

3. healz76

healz76

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks for all that mate!!!

4. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Also, if you don't mind spending a few bucks you could research music stores in your areas and see if they do appraisal. This should be able to tell you all the info and the value of the instrument as well. I hope this helped.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think those pickups came out in '67, maybe '66.

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Without a few more key photos to look at, it's very difficult to get you an approximate date of manufacture.

But, judging by the photo above, i'd say this Hofner is from the early 70's. Notice the control panel switches, they're black not creame. That change took place in late 69-70. Also note the volume control knobs are not the traditional Hofner tea cup knobs but rather standard black knobs with chrome inserts. They too were introduced in the early 70's.

As for the pickups. they're the standard type 513B blade pu's that were introduced in mid 67 and used right up until the early 90's. Personally, they're my favourite sounding Hofner pickups.

If you have a photo that you can post here of the body/neck joint as well as one of the front and back of the headstock, that will help determining a closer year of birth.

One other thing you can do is to check the codes on the volume pots. This requires that the control panel be gently removed from the bass to see them. On the pots you will see the following code 250k xxx. The xxx represents the week and year that the pots were made. As a rule, they didn't remain in Hofner inventory for very long. If the code reads 250k 141, then the pots were made during the 14th week of 1971. This would have the bass being made sometime during 1971. We know this because the bass has type 513B pickups in it and they weren't introduced until mid 1967.

Another example would be 250k 240 which would be 24th week of 1970. Remember this only applies to the date of the pots being made, but it's safe to assume the bass was assembled shortly afterwards.

TD

7. healz76

healz76

Sep 7, 2008
    Wow, thanks everybody for the great help on that. I'll post some more photos when I get home from work tonight, and I will check the codes on the pots when I get home. I'm also trying to find a suitable replacement scratchplate for it as it came without one.

8. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Good luck with with finding out.

9. healz76

healz76

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm having trouble uploading photos to this site, so I may have to email them to you.

I took the control plate off to have a look for the codes, and what I found was 250K 706. Does this mean it was (or at least the pots were) made in the 7th week of '76?

It was sold to me as a '69, so that would be a bit of a bummer if that was the case, but it is a very nice bass to play.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    That would be the correct assumption.

Unfortunately this kind of thing happens everyday. At least it's a very nice bass and you're enjoying it.

TD