Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any hope at all

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ashton, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    I have 30 or so year old acoustic 6 string is there any possible way to make this into a bass accoustic?

2. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    I think the main question you want to ask yourself would be, "is it worth it." A 30 year old guitar sounds like a vintage instrument, it might be worth some money.

That given, it would be really hard to do. You wouldn't be able to use the neck or headstock, since the neck is longer and the frets farther apart on a bass guitar. The only thing you would probably be able to use is the body, provided you can get the neck off and then build a new neck that fits into the same slot. You would need a new bridge, and possibly more bracing inside the body due to the fact that bass strings exert much more tension than guitar strings.

I would reccomend checking a few books out from your local public or college library. If they don't have any luthiere books there, they can usually get them on loan from another library. Generally, I think it would be much much much easier to just buy or build your own acoustic bass from scratch. For a novice, acoustic neck removal and custom neck building to fit a pre-existing neck dovetail is nearly impossible. I've been studying luthiere for years and I still wouldn't know how to attempt it.

Whams

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well I also think that it would not be worth it.

But, The idea that the neck would not be usuable is not true. It would just be a shorter scale lenght than a typical bass. As far as the increaded tension, with a short scale and light guage strings, you could probably get away with it. So you would need a new nut, bridge modification, and probably some headstock modifictation/new tuners. Overall I still say it's a bad idea.

4. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    True, Paintandsk8. I was thinking of a typical 34" scale. You could do that. But why would you, when there are acoustic basses to be had for under $200? You'd spend at least that much for a)tools and parts or b)professional help and parts.

Whams

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    agreed