1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any idea what is wrong with my GK 800RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobby B, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Bobby B

Bobby B

Jul 24, 2009
    Dallas, Tx
    The low end started sounding like a wet fart. I've tried changing cords and guitars. I have 2 cabs, a 410RBH and a 115RBH. I usually run them biamped but I've also unplugged one and then the other and run them full range. No, it's not an impedence thing, I checked and doublechecked that I have the 4ohm 115 plugged into the 4ohm amp and the 8ohm 410 plugged into the 8 ohm amp.

This is running both cabs biamped. All of the knobs are set to 12:00 and the shape filters are off. The preamp gain is set to 9:00.

Anything I play off the E string breaks up the speakers, up to about the 5th fret. After that, it's pretty clear.

This is audio of it using 3 different basses. First a Jaguar running passive, then the Jag active, then an active Charvel 3B, and then an active Ibby SRX. I plugged my vintage Dano into it also for another totally passive take on it and same breakup on the lows.

I've tried switching cords also, it's not the cord.

(you have to push the play button, it doesn't start automatically)

http://www.4shared.com/file/143379500/394b83eb/amp_problem_2.html

Thanks

2. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    your signal goes thru a spring switch at the effects return jack. could be dirty. try
    plugging a cord in & out a few times there. otherwise you probably should send it
    to a shop.

3. Bobby B

Bobby B

Jul 24, 2009
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks, I checked that and it there's no crackle at any of the input jacks. I do need to take it in, hoping to get an idea of what might be wrong if anyone knows, just so I can plan for the expense.

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Try playing with the 1/4 cord running from the effects out directly to the effects return. If it is the effects jack, this will set the normalling switch and let you know if that is where the problem is (working a cable in and out doesn't always fix the issue).

5. Are both amp sections doing this? Sounds like simple overload distortion/clipping to me.

6. Bobby B

Bobby B

Jul 24, 2009
    Dallas, Tx
    Well, I found the problem and feel like a total fool. The power cord is not hardwired to the amp, it's removable like a computer cord. It wasn't seated well in it's connection. I have it loaded in a deep rack case, and put the speaker cords and such back there when I pack it up so it's easy to set up quick. The amp is plugged into the back of a Furman rack power strip, so I never have to mess with it's plug and didn't even think about that as a possibility. I noticed it when I pulled it out of the rack to take to the shop, and pushed it back in tight and then turned it on and it sounded fine. I left it on and came back 3 hours later to see if it was still sounding OK, and problem solved. Seems odd that a power issue would cause the low end to drop out, but I don't know much about how all that stuff works.

:oops::rolleyes:

Sorry for involving you guys in my idiocy.

7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    hmmm ... i really dont think that is/was your problem .... keep us posted on that . may be soemthing internal and intermittent ....

8. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Hello if you are running a 4-10 cab. at 8 0hm's 100 watt's is not alot,that would make it distort.should run at least a couple hundred watt's into a 4-10.