Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any idea what is wrong with this SVT5 Pro ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Jul 8, 2005.

1. the first 5 minites of running, it likes to shut down for a second then turn back on, it will do this maybe once or twice for the first 5 minutes of powering up when its cold. once it warms, this has never occurred. it has been like this for 2 years, never got worse.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    probably its just yours .. do you get it new?

3. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I do have a solution. Fire her up, all I've ever done is pluck a few notes, Then put it back on standby. Too ironic someone ELSE had the same issue. I'm sorry, but I think the 5PRO is a good idea poorly executed. :crying: Amped just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Must tell you all: Since the air is pulled through the sides of the amp you cant put it in a nice rack case. IT GOES INTO THERMAL SHUTDOWN! No air flow! did this to me in middle of the set! More then once. Huge let down. :bawl:

Now one side of the power amp section doesn't work!
    So I cant even sell it 'till I get it fixed! Bulls*it! :spit:

I really was exited to use this amp. It really let me down.

Now I have a Sansamp RBI and am waiting for some $ to get a power amp and off I go!!! Hope this helps ya'll!

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

C'mon, Ampeg..... :rollno:

5. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT

Shoot I still have a early 70's V4B that I love. Breaks a guys heart! :bawl:

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Suspicion is that there is a bad connection, and the protection is fooled into working a few times until it warms up.

Should be a simple fix, most likely finding the loose solder joint and fixing it. Simple to solder it, maybe not as simple to discover the place to solder, because I can think of a number of areas it could be in. But if you are under warranty, that's not your problem, its ours.

Had it 2 years? OK, you presumably still have 3 more to decide to get it fixed under warranty...........or not.......

7. it was a listing on ebay.

8. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I believe Ampeg did address this issue with the tube 5s. A self-resetting filament circuit breaker is mounted on the PCB and not marked as such. You are either looking at out-of-spec tubes or higher-than normal inrush to the filament circuit from over/under mains voltage. I wouldn't suspect the breaker itself. They will fix everything under warrantee. And, yes, the 5PROs likes them some cooling air. Unless there is room for a pancake fan in your rack, set it on top, like I have had to do. Placing it between two non-heat-generating items in the middle of the rack helps but ya always gotta wonder how much is enough. The bottom space in my rack has a B5R sitting idle, just in case.