1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Idea What This Is?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Glunkus, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Glunkus

Glunkus

May 11, 2017
    Hi. I found this in Goodwill today for 9 dollars. Any idea what it is? It kind of looks like it could be a guitar pedal, but there are a few things that make me suspect it may be one of the many other strange beasts lurking in the murky depths of the Goodwill electronics department.
    20171220_105609.
    First of all, it's huge. Much larger than any guitar pedal I've ever seen. It also doesn't seem to have any markings of a brand, manufacturer, country of origin, etc. Rather heavy and made from metal. It seems to work like a wah pedal in that it stays in the position you leave it in when you press on it. Here it is on the bottom.
    20171220_105708.
    It appears to be quite old and dirty, but who knows what that could mean.
    20171220_105722.
    As you can see, it has a 1/4 inch jack sticking out of it, which is strange. The staff had no idea what it was, but suggested it may be a sewing machine pedal. That may be possible, but I have looked those up and they do not have 1/4 jacks as far as I could discern.
    20171220_105649.
    Finally, the strangest part. The part that clicks when you press it down is plastic rather than metal. That just seems a little absurd.

So does anyone have any thoughts? I don't think it could be a guitar pedal, as it only has one jack and it's sticking out of the unit. I opted not to buy it because it seems useless to me. I am interested as to what it really is, though. Thank you for reading and have a great day!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Don't sewing machines have some kind of pedal?

Nev375 likes this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    For 9 dollars, I'd have bought it and pretended to use it ... like Lee Sklar's 'producer' switch.
    I'd also have painted it a nice neon orange.

It looks slightly familiar and I remember lathes I used in my cabinet-making apprentice days having some sort of footswitch very like that and I'm sure a lot of industrial stuff would have something similar.
    The 1/4 in jack does suggest something electronic or musical though.
    Agreed on the absurdity of the moving part being plastic...but maybe it'll turn out that was intentional?

the harp unstrung, GKon and Glunkus like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I get a TB error when trying to load attachments.

Glunkus likes this.
  5. Glunkus

Glunkus

May 11, 2017
    Huh. They were just showing, but they broke somehow I guess...

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This

Glunkus likes this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Weird. I saw the attachments when you posted this, now I can't see them.

Glunkus likes this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    without seeing the pictures but going on the description, I was thinking it could be an electronic keyboard sustain pedal. Was also thinking an old style (non-Fender) amplifier channel/FX/reverb/trem off-on switch or an accessory expression pedal for a multi-FX board. I would think all of the above would have similarities for circuit topology.

Could also be some old funky steel guitar volume pedal? Those things were (and are) huge.

Glunkus likes this.
  9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Mike Gordon has a footswitch for his fan. Perhaps you could use this with a coffee maker?

Glunkus likes this.
  10. Glunkus

Glunkus

May 11, 2017
    The pictures should be fixed now! ^_^

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Now that I've seen pictures, I'm going with sewing machine pedal. Not much wear on the top, so probably home use...not industrial.

Glunkus likes this.
  12. Among the uses for 1/4" jack plugs Wiki had " photographic strobe units". Couldn't find any images like the one posted but it's another option.

Glunkus likes this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Some kinda voltage control foot pedal?

It woulda been cool to have seen the inside.

Glunkus likes this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I'm guessing some kind of variable speed control, or maybe a volume pedal for an organ?

Schlyder and Glunkus like this.
  15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    It’s an accelerator pedal from an Arcturian Star Ship! They’ll be looking for that...

16. I agree ^^^ some kind of pedal for an organ. Or, maybe for a Leslie speaker.

twocargar and Glunkus like this.
  17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Foot controlled potentiometer/rheostat, application unknown. What's inside?

I'm thinking it could easily be modded to work as a volume or wah pedal. Since it's so large, maybe a small amp circuit could fit inside.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Glunkus likes this.
  18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Looks like a common sewing machine pedal to me.

Glunkus likes this.
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Sounds plausible.

I'd go by that and hope for a glorious finding reward.

Chances are they annihilate you on the spot though, possibly taking you for some kind of saboteur who originally stole it from said spaceship, so maybe it would be safest to get rid of it all together.

Glunkus and EatS1stBassist like this.
  20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nah, they use a 5 pin right-angle exophotonic connector for bridging to the Chrono-Synclastic Infandibulum.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017