Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any ideas as to why not more MTV Unpluggeds became Records?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 1, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was just think of some great concerts i have seen in the MTV Unplugged series and it is a shame alot of them didint become records. Any thoghts to why this didint happen?.

2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Interesting point. I'm still shocked that they never released Nirvana's unplugged on DVD.

3. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Yeah, forcing me to get it bootlegged from Russia on VHS.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Legal reasons, management and/or record company contracts.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's all about the money. Yay, capatalism!

6. MAJOR METAL

They havent, Eric Clapton Unplugged is on DVD.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    All I know is Lauryn Hill's Uplugged album is IN-Frickin-CREDIBLE.

As far as I'm concerned, the series begins and ends there.

8. Eric Clapton unplugged is brilliant. I had heard that neil young made an unplugged , but im not sure. And as to why MTV doesnt even do unplugged anymore, I think its cause they ****ing suck and would rather show crap like the newlyweds.

9. MAJOR METAL

Stevie Ray Vaughn did one too!

10. MAJOR METAL

PS I think REM did 2 actually.

11. ha! Unplugged, really.

How many of those 'unplugged' concerts feature 'acoustic' instruments that are obviously plugged in?

I think the idea was good, they just went about it wrong. There are exceptions for sure, but Poison unplugged? Really. :eyebrow:

12. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What I really miss is the old 120 minutes live performances. The first one I ever caught was Mike Watt and Firehose. That was actually my introduction to everything Watt. They'd show some great bands of the time with a variety of different sounds. I think I remember seeing Sonic Youth, Nirvana, and Primus as well as bands like the Ramones on there. This was all back even before Matt Pinfield was hosting it. It was some younger guy with long brown hair at the time. Or Kennedy might have hosted it at one time if any of you remember her. What ever happen to her anyway? :confused:

Unplugged was great but I believe Nirvana could have decided to release that as an album to somewhat fulfill there record contract at the time. After Kurts death I think thats why the released "The Muddy banks of Wishicaw (?)". I think it was for the remaining members of the band to not have any finacial penalty for not fulfilling there album contract. They may have been signed to a 5 or 6 album deal at the time of his death. I really wish STP's unplugged had been released. I like the Alice in Chains quite a bit too. :bassist:

13. MAJOR METAL

Many of the instruments were acoustic but they had to be amplified for the concert attendies to here.

14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Yeah. That was one of my favorite ones too. At least you can get that one on cd and dvd.

15. MAJOR METAL

I really liked STP's Unplugged as well as AIC, theirs made it to CD.

16. MAJOR METAL

It's on DVD. cool :bassist:

17. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Yeah. Its not really hard to find either. Best Buy has it for $12.99 and it has the bonus three songs they did that didn't air on Mtv. Its kind of sad to watch because I always thought that Layne had an amazing and powerful voice. But its still a great show.

18. Last I saw of her she was hosting the game show "Friend or Foe."

Nerdy Emo Chick. Yeah...

19. Things you don't see often:
    Kraftwerk "Unplugged"
    Norah Jones "Plugged"

:D

20. MAJOR METAL

I havent seen any unpluggeds on mtv in a long whille.