Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any ideas for a decent head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 17, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Ok. I need a new head. The one I have right now is only 150watts, nowhere near enough. The cab it will be running through is 8 ohms and 600 watts. I want the best bang for my buck that holds up well and will fit jazz, funk, and rock. My price range is about $495. I really like the Kustom groove bass head for five hundred bucks, but I would only get 500 watts out of it, not 1200. Anything with more power for equal or less money? I can't go too much higher, maybe 20 or 30 bucks. And don't include tax/shipping charges, I don't care about that.

Oh yeah, isn't it that you can have a head with equal or more ohms, but not less ohms than cab, or is it the reverse of that? Which would be:
    You can have a cabinent with more or equal ohms as the head, but not any less. And does that also apply to watts? If so, which way?

2. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Do people hate me or something? I have posted numerous times in this section, Bass Guitar Amps, and no one ever replies.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey there. Nope, for $500, the Groove Bass is the most powerful head, period... You can look at the used market, but again, that's about it. 500 watts is nothing to sneeze at. You will be VERY surprised at how loud 500 watts is and the cool part with the Groove Bass is that you can add 2 more 8 ohms cabs in the future if you wish. I really believe that you already had the answer. There is a Groove Bass on Ebay right now that's going for $399 and has less that a day left (Link Here . There is a seller on Ebay selling them for $499 new (free ship) Link Here Good luck!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sometimes you need to give it a little more than 15 minutes for a response...

I'd suggest you look for used gear, you can get more power and better tone for less money. Check out the TB classified ads to see what's being sold now. You don't necessarily need more wattage than your cab unless you're gonna push your amp hard. I used a 350w amp into an 800w cab for about 12 years without a problem. I'd suggest in your price range to also check out the Hartke 5000. I had a 3500 forever and a day without any problems and it still sounds great.

5. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    If you have seen any other of my posts, you know that I am a HUGE used gear freak. But I hadn't thought about the tb classifieds ads. And use, I will be pushing my amp to its limits. I would if I had a 10 million watt amp.

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's also Saturday night. I bet many people have gigs this evening. :)

I would also agree with going used. If you look hard enough there are some good deals out there.

7. +2

Check it out; 600 watts. / $250

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Mark-VII...350055084QQcategoryZ38076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a few more...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGHES-KETTNER-...350571975QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-R600-Cyc...350645635QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay's not the only option, but it's a great place to see what's out there.

8. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    On the Peavey, I can get one of those today for 195 in better shape. And it would be 200 watts and 8ohms, which is what i tis looking at. The kettner has the same problem, for like 25 bucks more I get more power. And the carvin, WHAT THE HELL? I want a head, not a combo. What about a case/rack, I don't know what to get fore an enclosure for a head. You guys wanna ive me some ideas?

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    What kind of cab is it you're playing through?

10. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    a ernie ball music man HD-212. Powered by audiophile. It is truly a work of art. The wattage and ohms are above.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

After this post, I refuse to take anything in this thread seriously ever again.

12. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    What the hell do you mean?

13. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    And you want this for a jazz gig?

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You might be able to get a used tube-less SVT-ii (non pro) in that price range, if you played your cards right.

15. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I almost have to agree. Watts is not everything! Need to get off the watts things a little and also consider tone and portability if it is a concern. I gigged around New Orleans for years with nothing but a 120 watt Polytone 101 with a mike stuck in front of it. I loved the tone and it served me on all kinds of gigs from small jazz gigs and big band to rock and top 40 and country gigs. My point is don't get stuck on just watts. There are quite a few good sounding heads with 400 watts that can be found used well within your price range with enough power and good tone.

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Totally agree. I just went from a 1200 watt head down to a 500 watt and have no regrets... The extra watts were a waste (never had the 1200 watts head past 4 on the master even at outdoor gigs) and I was more interested in portability and tone.

17. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Tone is a big deal for me, but who doesn't like good tone. I don't care too much about portability, just something that works. And durability is big. I think I am just power hungry, I don't know. All I know is that this Kustom Head is not gonna work out.

18. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    This thread may go on forever with amp suggestions, but there are so many variables you really need to do your best to try out some amps yourself. You can start a poll and buy the amp with the most votes and it may totally suck for you. Some amps don't match up well with some cabs and same can be said for different basses. And what some people may say is the best amp just may not be your sound. Be patient, shop around to see what looks good in the reviews and on paper and buy used at a price where you can recoup your investment if you don't like it. I'd start out with something like a GK800RB or a SWR SM400. They've been workhorses for many years and can be found pretty cheap used. And remember, don't get stuck on watts, you'll be surprised what something like 300 watts can do!! To this day the best rig I've heard was through an old GK400RB which I think is only 200 watts, but the bass and cabs also had a lot to do with it(along with the guy playing it which was Mark Van Wageningen)!
    That's my $.02.

Some suggestions on where to shop for used gear:

www.bassgear.com
    www.harmonycentral.com
    www.ebay.com

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you are going used, try looking for a Trace Elliot V4. Those usually run for about $500 or less. They are 200 watt all tube heads, equal in volume to about 800 watts non tube. They sound completely awesome! Though I'm not sure how it will hold up to funk, the V4 has some hi-fi characteristics so it should do decent. New the options are the Kustom Groovebass and the Yorkville 800 watt head.

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Beh. If you are limited to a budget of $500, and are poo-poo'ing the Kustom Groovebass head because it will only give you 500 watts in your application, you can't be helped. 500 watts is a GODSEND at a budget of $500, and its a good sounding head.

Not enough watts for you, then you'll have to wait and increase your budget, simple as that.