Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any Ideas for a Pre-amp head for an acoustic 361 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DAcat, Jul 7, 2005.

1. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have an Acoustic 361 powered bass cabinet (with an 18" speaker set in a reverse folded horn design)....but I no longer have the original Acoustic 360 pre-amp head and they are hard to come by. I'm the original owner and am taking this out of storage-It's in mint condition so I'm leery of hooking it up to just any pre-amp and frying its mother board. Has anyone had any experience using different pre-amps with this powered cabinet...or know of anyone who might know...thanks to anyone who can help me out ...Peace...DAcat :cool:

2. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    The copy cat Acoustic 360 preamps are out of production at present-please-anyone have any other ideas? Thanks...DAcat :cool:

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    you might want to try an Almebic F1

4. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey BassGreaser-Have you tried the Alembic F 1 preamp with a 361? How did it sound compared to the 360 head ? Thanks for the input....Peace...DAcat. :cool:

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You might want to contact those repro guys, and it's said currently unavailable for a while..

If not, you could just send the thing to me ;)

6. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Has anyone else tried any other preamp with thier Acoustic 361 powered cabinet-if so how did it sound?....Peace...DAcat

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you plug your bass directly into the input jack of the 361, how loud will it get?

I ask this because I don't know how much signal the 361's power amp needs for full output.

You might want to try a SansAmp BDDI for starters..

Really, any bass preamp would work, just keep the output level control way down until you learn more about how much juice the 361 really needs...

Please keep us up to date!

8. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Billy B From LZ-I currently play thru an Ibanez SR 900 bass with active pick ups and an on board active EQ on the bass.I recently (yesterday) Plugged it into the input and it was loud but I don't think it was as loud as I remember it being with the 360 head-and any tweaking of the gains for bass, mid or treble made for a pretty hot signal with a lot of harmonics and some feedback-I quickly turned it down-don't want to harm it. I do have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI stomp box and I've been hesitant to use it yet-which settings should I use if I'm using it as a Preamp?...any help appreciated...Peace...DAcat :cool:

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Very interesting...

You can use what ever settings sound good...from clean to mean it should all work.

Have fun!!!