Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any idea's for a ROCKBASS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SLAPBASSPLAYA5, Mar 28, 2004.

1. does anyone have any idea's for pickup upgrades for a rockbass streamer stndard? i really want a "bigger" sound out of it. somthing that will bring out the slap better.

2. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Get some Seymour Duncan/Basslines Phase II ASB pickups.I read in your other thread regarding this issue that you didn't want to go active,but trust me.Based on your username alone,I'm betting that you'll dig the hell out of these pups.
    I put the 5 string version of these in my B.Bo ButterBass fretless five to replace the passive EMG-Hz pups that were in it.The body of the B.Bo bass is too thin to route on,and the control cavity is very small in terms of room,so active pups and no additional onboard active preamp was the logical choice.
    Tonally I would describe these pups as active EMG's and active Bart's illegitimate baby.They're really clean and clear,with alot of output like EMGs,but without the harsh,"digital" sounding high end.But at the same time,they're also warm sounding,like Barts,but each note's pitch is as defined and evenly loud as all the others.
    The team at Seymour Duncan NAILED it on the head with these pups.They must have spent weeks tweaking on these to get them as perfect as they are.
    I love them so much,I'm selling my Ken Smith 5,and both of my Bart equipped Washburn U.S. Custom Shop basses in order to buy two fretted B.Bo basses with these Basslines pups in them.

3. how hard is it to switch a passive bass over to active?

4. snailplow

It's not hard at all,but it's best to let a professional do it if you don't have any experience with this subject.It's worth the cash,trust me.A Basslines STC-3 active preamp is all you'd need at first.You can use your stock pickups that's in it to see if they'll sound good with it.I'm betting that they will because Seymour Duncan/Basslines designed the whole M.E.C. line of pickups and preamps that Warwick uses in their basses.If you still don't like what you're hearing,then buy and add some Duncan pups to the mix.I KNOW you'll be happy then. :cool:

5. aight thanks. i'll definitly look into that

6. hmm...i read a couple of reviews by consumers, and a couple guys said it was "noisy". i was wondering is yours noisy? or are they exagerating?

7. snailplow

No,mine's not noisy at all.They might not have wired theirs up right.This is why I recommend that a pro do the conversion.
    It's easy for a bass to be either a little or alot noisy when you're converting it from an all passive instrument,to having an active preamp,active pickups,or both,unless you get some extra sheilding done to it.
    The added gain sometimes raises your signal's noise floor,which may have some unwanted "hiss" or "scratchiness" to it if the conversion is not wired up right,or sheilded correctly.
    Most bass manufacturers that produce passive instruments in the under $500 range WON'T sheild them as much BECAUSE the passive output is low,and to help save on the production cost.
    When I converted a passive bass to active,I bought some electronic sheilding paint from www.stewmac.com ,and sprayed the inside of the preamp control cavity,and the back of it's cover twice before sheilding it again with some sheilding tape that I bought from them as well.
    This was more than likely overkill,but I had the money,time, and the means to do so,and I didn't want to ever have to dig back into it again to re-sheild it for any reason.
    I have a hard time believing that a Seymour Duncan made preamp is excessivly noisy,unless it's a really old model of theirs.They have a reputation of making some really great sounding components.
    Most active preamps nowadays ARE noisy when the high end is really cranked up,but that's their nature.I haven't heard one yet that 100% completely quiet when this is done.
    Oh and by the way,if I'm not mistaken,I think you said that you had a 4 string Warwick Streamer Rockbass.If it's the one I'm thinking of,it's got three knobs,and the input jack is on the face of it like a Fender strat.If this IS the bass you have,you'll need to buy the Basslines STC-2 instead of the STC-3,as I mentioned before.The only difference in them is that the "2" model doesn't have a mid frequency level control.With only 3 holes routed into your bass,you'd have to have another hole drilled for the "3" model to fit,and that doesn't guarantee you that you have enough room in your control cavity for the extra pot since they'll now be a circuit board and 9 volt battery in there as well.
    Check out as many onboard AND outboard(pedal) preamps that you can.You may like some other model better than the Basslines model.Alot of passive bass players opt to go the pedal route because it's easier to replace it if you find one that you like even better.Good luck. :cool:

8. aight thank alot man!

9. where can i buy one? i cant find one at any of the usual places online.

10. snailplow

Try this place.----->Rock Block Guitars 1601 Church St. Nashville TN (615) 321-0317

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY