Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Ideas For Varnish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mattzink, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    hey all - i'm here to pick your brains! i'm thinking of stripping my '85 G&L L-1000 to it's natural finish. I have experience stripping basses, so i'm not worried about that aspect. i'm looking for suggestions on two things, however:
    1. any suggestions on the grit of sand paper i should use after it's stripped? i can't remember what i used last time; i was also using paper supplied to me by a local luthier. i could ask him again, but would rather not because he is as eccentric as he is talented. (by the way, if you'd like to check out his work, you can go to www.volbrechtguitars.com)

2. any suggestions on a varnish that will keep the truest color of the wood when applied? i guess i'd be going for a satin finish, though that's not quite as important for me. also, i do not have an air rig to blow the finish on with an air gun. Is there a varnish of some sort that's good with a brush?

the last bass i stripped ('77 sting ray) turned out great and looks awesome - that's because the aforementioned ron volbrecht did an incredible job on the finish. anyways, any ideas are much appreciated.

have a great day, matt

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I just stripped a bass, and am prepping it for paint (perhaps a little different than finishing for varnish). Anyways, I started with 80 grit, then 180 then 240 I think. I used these grits for no particular reason except that's the paper I had on hand. Then I finished with steel wool.

On the weekend, a buddy showed me a StewMac guitar he put together. He said he used finer grit yet (to about 600 I think) wet-sanding between finish coats.

If I wanted laquer finish and didn't have a spray gun, I'd use a product called "Diamond Varathane". It comes in a spray can and is available in matte, satin or gloss.

I'm no pro, so take the above for what it's worth.

3. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    good stuff - thanks for the insight! i'll let you know what i do.

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Glad to help! I'd be interested to see photos or know how it goes.

Ooops, I forget to mention the product mentioned above will change the color of some woods. If this is a concern be sure to test it on a scrap to be sure you're satisfied.