Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any ideas? I need help re: My Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silverthread, Apr 15, 2001.

1. silverthread

silverthread

Jul 12, 2000
    Hi, I was wondering if I could get some of you guy's opinions on what I should do. Basically, I have a MIM Active Fender Jazz that I got sent over here (England) from ebay, because believe it or not, even with the shipping, it was quite a bit cheaper. Anyway, basically from day one I've never been really happy with it; it always buzzed badly, so about two months ago I had it set up. This did nothing except make it worse, probably because they put new strings on it, so the buzzes were louder. I then took it to another place, who set it up, and said that he had done all he could do, (which OK-better atleast,) but that if I wanted to take it further then I would have to have the fretboard re-done.
    Now this is the dilemma. I dont know whether to have it repaired, and risk that I'm throwing my money away, because ofcourse it is possible that it might not be significantly improved, OR I could sell it, get most of my money back, and search through all the guitar shops I can untill I find the perfect one. (By the way, I for one will never buy anything unseen again-at least its tought me that...). One of the reasons I'm unhappy is that the bass I had before this one, my first bass, that I had for about 2 years was a Peavey, and OK it didnt sound great, but it was so EASY to play. The action was really low, yet I never got buzzes, and I play pretty hard with a pick. I also noticed that in comparison the Fender's frets seem higher, making it more uncomfortable to do slides and stuff. I spoke to my sister's guitar teacher (unfortunately I dont take lessons myself) and he said that I would be mad to sell it, as I could just get it repaired. I know what he's saying, but its just that knowing that a) I wouldnt be losing any money on it if I re-sold it--beacause I got it so cheap, and b) that I have been saving money for ages, so actually I could get a better bass, it looks quite appealing.

What do you guys think?

I'd really like anyone's opinions, but I'd also like help from Uk ppl re what other basses I could be looking at. If I sold my Jazz for £300 (its in mint condition and with a fender hard case) and put, say an extra £150-£200 of my own money on top, what sort of basses do you think I should be looking at? (I'm pretty much determined to get it second had, to get better value and the rest of it) Do you think I could get a US active for that?

Thanks
    :)

PS What diff between the Mex and US Jazzes would I notice, if I decided to get another?

Thaks so much guys :)

2. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    Hi Ho Silver,

The best part of your thread was hearing you say that you'd not buy another instrument "sight unseen". :^>) I'ver never understood how folks do that in the first place, but hey, that's just my opinion.

#1. The neck: Without seeing the bass it could be any number of things, but now you know why you got it so cheap.

#2. The repair: Find out who the BEST Fender authorised bass repair/set-up person is in your area and take the bass to him/her.

#3. If they run a retail shop, get on your knees and beg forgiveness for not buying the bass there in the first place. Promise that you've learned your lesson, you'll buy your next one locally, (preferably from them), and that you'll tell at least 10,000 musicians how wonderful they are for helping you out. Bringing a couple of dozen home-baked cookies wouldn't hurt either. :^>)

#4. The MIM Jazz is one of our coolest basses. IMHO, in the right hands, it can probably be fixed so that it sings like a bird.....without spending a lot of dough.

#5. Please let me know how you make out.

Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere
    Fender

3. silverthread

silverthread

Jul 12, 2000
    Thanks rich, anyone else got any opinions?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome back, Rich. Long time no see!;)

Will C.:cool:

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welcome Rich... Some of us here do play Fenders! :D

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Well you can have the frets dressed which should cost too much. You could learn to set it up your self so you'll know that's not the problem, I've had my bass set up for a couple of times and both set-ups sucked, so I said **** it I'll do it myself and do it right, it took a couple tries but now it's easy. Does it buzz when you play a certain note in a certain spot, or does it buzz regardless? It it's regardless, the neck might of warped when it was shipped over, if that's the problem, you can get a new neck for not too much money, or sell it (If it's the neck, I'd sell it).