1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any ideas of Fender 60's CS pickups on Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoyaFromNagoya, Mar 25, 2009.

1. BoyaFromNagoya

BoyaFromNagoya

Aug 26, 2008
    Istanbul
    Have anyone tried Fender 60's CS pickups on a Geddy Lee? I like how Geddy Lee bass sounds but i have to go for the classic jazz bass sound for a specific project and i can't afford to buy another bass? Any ideas?

2. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Isn't that the stock PUs on it?

3. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    The Geddy Lee comes with Vintage Jazz pickups. The Custom Shop 60s are overwound to get more punch and ballsyness than the Vintage, but if you're looking for the classic sound, I would stick with the Geddy.

4. BoyaFromNagoya

BoyaFromNagoya

Aug 26, 2008
    Istanbul
    Hey jbo... Do you think GL's sound is more likely the real thing, than the 60's CS? Because personally I find stock GL's sound agressive and harsh sometimes. With the classic kind of rock bands I've played it, it always shined. But at last rehersals with a funk-jazz band it sounded like it didn't belong in there. Maybe I need to change the amp or the usual settings. What else can you reccomend?

5. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    Here's a link, which you may have already seen, to the pick-ups used in the Geddy:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0992123000

They are going to sound the closest to the original Jazz bass sound. I think if you experimented by changing the settings on your amp to more of a funk setting, you would find the sound you're looking for. Generally, for my jazz basses, when I play in a funk-jazz setting, I set my EQ to have more emphasis on mids than the general "smily-face" setting most often used for music like that, that way I have a good solid tone for slap, and a growly tone for fingered funk lines.

But, if you do decide to change the pickups, I would recommend taking a look at the Dimarzio J pickups, they're cheaper than the CS 60's, but still have a great sound.

6. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    By the way...welcome to Talkbass!!

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    One thing to take into account is that the "Original Jazz Bass Pickups" use enamel rather than the era correct formvar wire that the CS '60s use. That could account for the extra brightness and aggressiveness.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    enamel is era correct as well. and the two sets dont sound that much different imo.

9. BoyaFromNagoya

BoyaFromNagoya

Aug 26, 2008
    Istanbul
    Thanks for the replies. And for your welcome jbo. I've been surfing on TalkBass for a long time. But that was really my first post:)
    I think I'll keep your advice, stay with the stock GL configuration and try to find new ways to amplify it.

10. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
    Let us know how it turns out!

11. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I have a Geddy Lee FrankenJ (Fender/Japan Geddy Lee body w/'99 Fender/USA American Standard maple/rosewood Precision neck) that I put a set of Lindy Fralin Jazz pickups with raised A & D pole pieces. In a way, it's kind of a "misuse" of the product given the meaty rosewood board P neck, old school threaded bent plate bridge and Lakland Joe Osborn flats on mine compared to the look and sound of a stock Geddy Lee. However, it simply kills with the Fralin pickups and is a great blues/soul/r&b bass. Tonally, the Fralin pickups probably aren't super radically different than the stock pickups. However, string to string balance is very important to me and the raised A & D pole pieces are the way to go, IMHO.