1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any ideas on rackmount multi fx?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by simonlittle, Jul 21, 2008.

1. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Amps
    Hi folks.
    I'm having issues here. I'm in the middle of putting together a little rack system for my solo bass project (check out my Solo Bass Podcast. I've got a Looperlative on the way with a midi foot controller and I've just bought a Spirit Folio Notepad mixer.
    I want to get some kind of rackmount effects processor so I can access a range of different sounds before the looper. I have a big pedal board at the moment but would like something a bit more versatile and less bass-orientated for the solo project. I specifically want something with good reverbs, chorus, phasers, some distortions and it must have good pitch shifters...
    I've been checking out a bunch of stuff online (let's face it, nobody is stocking these in actual shops to try out anymore), looking at what other players are using. Just wondering if any of you have any experience of these?
    Trey Gunn uses a TC electronics G Force and an Art SGE. Both of these are quite pricey. Has anyone tried the TC electronics G Major?
    Steve Lawson has been using the Lexicon MPX G2 for a long time ad I love the sounds he gets. I think these are now out of production and are pretty hard to get hold of. Anyone tried out the MPX1 with a bass? It seems to have loads of great features..?
    Also looking at the new Line 6 Pod X3 Pro. Very pricey and doesn't seem to have a pitch shifter, but does have two inputs and would be good for Chapman Stick. I've never even seen one in a shop. Is this any good?
    Any ideas or other suggestions would be great
    Simon :confused:

2. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I don't think the POD X3 Pro is available yet.

3. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    That's a shame. Let's discount that for now then. Any other ideas?

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Let's narrow it down. What is your maximum realistic budget? Do you care if it's 1RU or 2? Will you be doing deep editing of the effects, or is easy immediate use more important? How do you feel about menu pages versus large screens versus dedicated knobs? Do you care about the age of the unit? Will you be needing MIDI control, Firewire, or any other specific I/O? From the pitch shifters, do you care about chords, or is mono fine? If you had to choose between perfect tracking but weedy tone, or imperfect tracking but stellar tone, which would you prefer?

5. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    I don't really want to go much over £400. RU's not important.
    Midi yes ideally, and would be up for some editing options rather than dedicated knobs. Age not important as long as it works properly (I'm trawling ebay at the moment with my fingers crossed & google at the ready).
    As for the pitch shifter, I would like as many options as possible, although monophonic would be fine. Basically, I want to be able to make some quality guitarry and ambient noises with my bass.... I'm thinking of Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn. Not at all worried about specific bass effects, in fact I'm trying to get away from that...

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Boss VF-1's are affordable and offer a boat-load of effect's and options. Bad part is they're only 1/2 rack space so you'll have to keep something else in that open space.

7. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Just investigating that one now. Greg Howard and Michael Manring both use one of these, so I'm presuming they're pretty good...
    There's a bunch of options out there but nowhere to go if you want to physically try out the gear (I only found out that Turnkey has gone bust when I went down there during the week). Really relying on user testimonials here.
    Anyone tried the Lexicon MPX1 with bass?

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I can testify that the VF-1 is VERY deep and capable. When I had one I went through every patch in it and could have turned each of them into something someway usable for bass if I really needed and wanted effects.

9. rpmartino

rpmartino

Jan 12, 2007
    I like the (older) Boss SE-70 much more than the VF-1... has a richer, more organic sound. The distortions use true analog circuitry rather than digital simulations. I sold my VF-1 (and so did Greg Howard) after a while of owning one, just kind of sounded thin and digital sounding in comparison to the SE-70.

I also considered a POD X3 for Stick use, but eventually decided on a GT-10 and GT-10B pair for the most flexibility and real-time parameter control. I still have a rack with two SE-70s and two GX-700s I like a lot, but I wanted something a bit more portable.

10. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Thanks for the head-up on that one Rob. I was bidding on a VF-1 on Ebay, but it got snapped up at the last minute. Sounds like I had a lucky escape! Big fan of your playing by the way!
    Simon

11. I have been using a Korg AM8000R for a while and I really like it--as far as customization of tones, this thing is killer--it is one of the most flexible rack effects I have ever been able to use.
    If you are getting the looperlative and still have a bit of money to spend, check out the eventide HW8000FW--you will never need another effect rig again!

another thing I can suggest is going software--I have Plogue Bidule which is an audio environment that really allows for some sweet effect routing systems, plus there are some VST loopers that you could load on as well. Granted everyone is very sure that their computer is going to crash or freeze up during a gig, but if you ask me, there will always be a plethora of things that can go wrong anyways

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021