1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

any ideas on this enon sound???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by godspeed68, Aug 22, 2007.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    i figured this would most likely end up as an effects/signal chain style discussion. buuut...check it.

first, listen to this song (sorry bout the myspace link :bag: )

http://www.myspace.com/godspeed68

i want to know how to get that sound is what it comes down to.

heres what i know about the band: jazz bass, and electronics.

im not sure if this is an effect used by the bassist, or if its the mix of the natural bass and some electronic **** mixed in.

any ideas????

thanks guys.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Wow! I have to admit, that sounded really effing cool. I bookmarked it and will go back and listen again. Honestly, you should just email the guy and ask him. But my best guess is that he recorded clean bass and then munged up the signal with post-production digital fx. It reminded me of certain dirty fx I could get with a Boss sampler/looper mini production box I had for a while. I don't know of a pedal that will do the job, but perhaps one of those bigger Boss digital multis like the ME-6B? Maybe search for threads on that and other big/fancy digi multis, they do get talked about a lot.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    that is quite an awesome sound goin' down! it inspired me to record a clip (found in the thread entitled "i like this sound.").

i can't really think of what's being used... sounds like a mix of fuzz and synth... or maybe just fuzz and clean. great song, though!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

4. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I'm surprised you guys think it sounds so synthy. It sounds like OD to me. Are we talking about the ascending three-note line that's repeating througout? I've gotten similar sounds from my Ashdown Bass Drive with the LF Drive turned way up and the balance turned slightly towards the lows. Maybe I'm missing something?

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It is "OD", but to my ears it sounds unlike the OD from normal analog clipping circuits, and more like the weird texture of some digital processing. But it could just be differences in our speakers/headphones.

6. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. To my ears (yes the three note line) sounds like an OD'ed tuba/bass. It sounds like it has a modeled horn quality to it.

7. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    What about it seems unlike normal analog overdrive? The harmonics? The volume envelope? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just interested is all.

Sometimes it's hard to notice subtleties on myspace tracks because they are so compressed beyond all hell.

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've had fuzzes that could sound something like that on lighter settings. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Very true indeed!

It's the tone, perhaps expressed as harmonics, that I'm hearing as "different". I agree with the "tuba" description... Regular OD's always sound to me sort of like a buzzing noise on top of an otherwise normal bass signal. Sometimes the buzzing is gritty, sometimes it is smooth, but it doesn't usually change the basic harmonic profile of the tone. Whereas (in my overactive imagination?) this sound has more of a weird EQ thing going on, as well as a "layered" quality which makes it sound like maybe a few different digital processes smeared together. Or maybe just a regular OD through a fixed wah or a weird EQ setting.