Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Ideas on this setup? Is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Saken, May 25, 2005.

1. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It would get you plenty of volume, but you might not like how it sounds. But you might like how it sounds too... :smug: If nothing else, you are going to have an amp that will run for centuries.

3. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Thanks i'm thinking about this rig cuz it would save me atleast a few hundred bux and lately thats alot. So I think when I get a day off from work i'll go play around with it an if I like the soound. I'm gonna take that. Sure I'd love to have a nice new cab exactly what I want but lack of funds means sacrafices.

thanks

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea my thoughts are the same. Good head with an iffy cab and for $300? I'd be very tempted.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is a really good deal. Those Peavey 215's are super loud. It is going to be super heavy, you cool with that?

-Mike

6. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Ya weights not an issue I'm used to it I've carried full 6000 watt PA systems plus all the stage gear in for bands so my little 2x15 cab an amp is a refreshing smal amount. lol

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

Nope...it's not an iffy cab. I bought the exact same one here in Austin TX used a few months ago. VERY Loud...good mids and highs for a 2X15". PLENTY of lows. Heavy but put some casters on it and you are set. When I bought mine it was a package deal with the exact same head for $300.00 as well. I got the music store to sell the cab only for $150.00. I think $300.00 for both is reasonable.

-Bazz-

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I was only saying it was an Iffy cab because the only Peavey bass cab I played was a beat up old TNT 1x15 combo that had seen better days.

If it is as good as everyone is saying there should be no reason not to pick up that setup for $300

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorry Protoz,...I wasn't wailing on you. :) Just clearing up that it is a great cab.

I know of the combo you speak of...played one before and it did leave alot to be desired.

-Bazz-

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A classic bass rig for sure...

Keep in mind that the amp is probably 30 years old and the cabinet isn't far behind.

BTW, the total power output of the amp is probably 210 watts into 2 ohms...not the 700 watt figure in the eBay auction and it's a single output channel amp...

Good luck!!!

11. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Im gonna go look a the amp again but 2 ohms? I didn't know that old of gear went to 2 ohms? So is that like 105 watts at 4 ohms? That cab will be ok with only 105 watts? I'm pretty sure the cab is 4ohms.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was curious about the ohms of my cab as well (rubbed off the back plate) and I confirmed with Peavey that those cabs are 4 ohms.
    -Bazz-

13. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Ok I figured the cab was 4 ohms. But if the head is only 210 at 2ohms is that head enough power at 4ohms for that cab? That seams like very little power for 2 15's.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    that's why I didn't buy the head.

15. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Well if I can get em to seperate the two maybe i'll just get the cab? I'm not sure i won't be able to get down to see it again till this weeekend.

16. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I had one of those heads (brand new), upon initial fire up - it didn't!

2 days of shop time later, it worked fine and was plenty bleepin loud on a 4 ohm 18" cab, and I mean more than loud enought. Gtr had a VT22, LOUD DRUMMER, Keys had a blond bassman and portaflex.

Those heads are availble for around a hun give or take 25.

Not my fav 2x15 cab, but it should work well enough.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Should be a decent set up $300 for both is fine. I thought $199 for the cab alone was a little high. I usually see them around here for $100-150. Matter of fact, I was in a GC that had 2, $150 each. The only difference between the 2 was that one only had 3 casters. If I had 300, I would have had them both.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love old Peavey amps and cabs, nice and creamy tone.

19. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Decided not to buy the head and cab. I went back played my 5 string Aria Pro II on it and just wasn't happy with the sound. I'm not sure but I think one of the woofers was blown. I'm still debating on just picking up a cheap xaudio or steelsound cab for now just so I have something I know everyone seams to say save an buy a nicer rig but I have nothing right now and waiting months to have enough to get a ampeg or even a Hartke rig is just not something I wanna do.