any ideas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, May 23, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so my bass lessons are winding down (next one is last).

and we're figuring out what we'll be doing next year. i've decided that i want to do a version of beethoven's "moonlight sonata."

in fact, i've got some music (in treble clef...which i can't read) printed out already, and i'll transcribe that to bass clef...sometime.

what i need your help for is to come up with ideas that would contrast with "moonlight sonata." something...not classical.

my bass teacher had the idea of doing "frankenstein" (as heard on that truck commercial). i am not so thrilled about it...

so i'm calling on you guys...
    i need a decision by wednesday.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about something really "riffy" - like "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin? Arrange the tune/vocal for bass as well as the riff?
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    "Frankenstein" is a fun song to play, very easy and it's recognizable by just about everyone.

If you really want to strech out, learn something like the Brecker Brothers "Some Skunk Funk". That tune is a kick in the booty. :D
  4. Good luck with "Moonlight Sonata!" Are you gonna play it in the double tapping method a la Stu Hamm?

I'm not sure what you mean by contrasting Beethoven with something else, though. Do you mean overlapping the two tunes? (you play Sonata, while someone else plays the other tune?)
  5. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sorry for the confusion, chaos (wait a minute...).

what i mean by that is that he wants me to do two pieces. one of them is classical, and the other should be anything but.

"black dog" sounds like a good idea...i'll have to d/l it first! (the only zeppelin my dad has is house of the holy...)

and no, i won't be two hand tapping it. i originally planned on it, but it is very impossible...

i told my instructor about stu hamm's version a while ago (before we decided that we're going to work on it). he gave it a listen and determined that it wasn't unaccompanied.

so, anyway, there are three parts, and i'll play two of them: the continuous triplet pattern and the bass line (whole notes).

but i have, like, months to worry about playing it!

keep the suggestions for something else coming!

6. I see we listened to some of the same music "back in the days." :) I liked "Sneakin' up behind You."

Mike J.
  7. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It may surprise you that "back in the days" you are referring to... I was probably only a few years old.. :D I'm 28 right now.

And that song is great by the way.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I hate to tell you this, but your instructor is wrong: I've witnessed Stu playing that piece solo (unaccompanied, even ;) ), and it's all in there. You just gotta be a monster like Stu to pull it off! :D
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. A friend of mine saw him live and made a bootleg tape that included Moonlight Sonata. Sounded like the recorded version. Just because your teacher can't play it unaccompanied doesn't mean that it can't be done.
  10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca is "black dog" really good?

more suggestions are welcomed.

and to beat a dead horse: i suppose the version he came across had other musicians in it. when i told him that i wanted to learn "moonlight sonata", i started playing it like i imagined stu did, with the left hand playing the triplets and the right the melody. i started off with a D minor triad, but one of the versions of the sheet music, it starts off with an arpeggiated Am (root being the "bass" part). the original key is C# minor, but there are other versions, of course.

also, probably the major reason why he'd rather have it not tapped is so that the triplet part can be played legato. if i were to tap it, it would sound too staccato.

well, consider this thread officially hijacked...