1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any iGoogle users looking for an alternative?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Oct 31, 2013.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've used iGoogle as my home page for a few years now, with the usual Google search box but also various "widgets" on there - news links of various types, sport, weather, and so on.

Google are discontinuing iGoogle from tomorrow so I thought I'd better look for an alternative browser homepage. There are lots of options out there and some are really customisable to the nth degree, but I settled on this one as it's intended to a be very similar alternative to iGoogle, almost a straight replacement. As such, it seems to work pretty well.

www.ighome.com

2. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Thanks! I was putting off finding an alternative to iGoogle. This seems to do the job.

3. I was wondering what I was gonna do as my home page. Gonna try out.
    Thanks!

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It's not very customisable in terms of looks (the themes don't seem to do anything at all as they're hidden behind the other stuff you choose to have on there), but I don't really care about that. I like it because there's a useful range of stuff you can choose to include (BBC news, weather and football are important for me here) and you can add or delete stuff and move it all around very easily. The "sticky note" gadget is useful, too.

All in all, it does the job well in a simple and straightforward way. Suits me. :)

5. Strani

Strani

Oct 31, 2013
    You could have a look at http://www.startme.com for an alternative. It's pretty customizable so you can make it look any way you want.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yahoo has a pretty good setup. They have auto import for iGoogle settings.

7. Tried ighome. Only thing that didn't work for me was the search function yielded diffrent search results compared to Google.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Honestly I had never even heard of it.