Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any info about Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psubassist, Apr 7, 2004.

1. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am curious if a Peavey T-40 would be a worthwhile investment. My friend has been offered it and he is thinking of passing it up and I was thinking of stepping in for it. It is a nice bass, shows some wear but not much, still in excellent condition, would probably be a great kick-around bass. I currently play a Cort Action bass (my kick around) bass and a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz (my love) and I am wondering if this would be a good investment.

Thanks

John

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Define "investment".

While they are slowly coming up in price, they will probably never be especially valuable.

I see people asking $400 for them which IMHO is too much. $250 is more like it.

When I sold mine a few years ago I had trouble getting $150 for it.

3. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    whenever i say investment, i mean something that would not be a complete waste of money....

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    had a t-40 for a while...

Wasn't an investment, just thought it looked cool and was a good deal on ebay. The sound was good, the construction was really good, BUT... It couldn't have weighed more if it was made out of solid steel. I've tried 8 strings that were lighter.

Because I liked it a lot, I held on to it, only playing it sitting down..., or for just one song at a time..., but after awhile I just had to get rid of it. Pity it wasn't lighter, I'd still own it today. :crying:

5. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yea, i def. agree that it is heavy. i also think that it looks really cool, has a nice vintage look to it.

6. My friend John D just got one a year back for 75 dollars. As mint as new.

Sounds great, looks a tad fugly (could there be any more pickguard???) feels great, no harm no foul.

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    depending on the cost, definately worth it. For a passive bass, it had some awesome tone varieties. REALLY heavy though, so make sure you use a good strap.

You might also want to check on the Harmony Central Bass Forum. There are a bunch of guys over there who own a T40.

Link to HCBF

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i think they're well worth the money they're going for, around the $200 mark. i borrowed one for a while from someone and was going to buy it for around $150, but decided not to because i'd probably rarely use it. what i liked about it was the old school vibe. it's real deep and thick sounding. what i disliked was that it DID weigh a ton (but that adds to the tone) and if you're into slapping, forget it. just couldn't coax anything reasonable (for my slap tastes) out of it.

9. psubassist

psubassist

Feb 13, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    so all in all, the only complaint that i'm getting is that of its weight. that works....it is starting to definetly look more tempting, it could be a nice complement to my fender jazz...

10. I heard they're real deep, beefy sounding basses. HUB from the Roots plays one. How much do they weigh, exactly?

11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    ONE MILLION POUNDS!!!!!!
    (Your bass may vary...) :D

Seriously, mine weighed approximately 14lbs. (ouch - hurts my back just to say it.)

12. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've only played one bass heavier than a T-40, and that was a 6-string neck-through Warwick.

If you're rough and tough enough to handle having a monster like that slung over your shoulder, go for it. They sound great IMO, and I don't think you can find a comparably good tone at that price level.

13. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I know I'm a little late in responding to this, but back when the T-40's 1st showed up on the market (mid-70's I think), I snagged one as I was a little short of cash for the Kramer I was looking at at the time. I hung on to it for almost 20 years. It was heavy but I was a lot younger then and was able to get through a full 4-hour club date with it. Not sure how that would work for me now that I'm used to something a lot lighter.

Bottom line is, I wish I never let it go. Was able to get a great variety of tones. That said, I must ditto what Joe Nerve said about slap, just didn't happen! If I had everything else I needed, I'd get another I think. However my bass rig still needs some upgrading, so that's where the funds need to go for now. If you're still haggling about it, snag it for $200 or less. I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Hammer

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As far as the weight, the early T-40s were slab bodies made of ash and most were quite heavy.

Years later after Peavey had gone to the "blade" style pickups" they started contouring the bodies ala Fender and these weigh much less due to the removed wood.

So if weight is a concern look for one with a contoured body.

15. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    T-40s rule!
    for all the people that say they are getting too pricey, a mim fender is twice as much money, and half as much bass!
    They are heavy, but that's why we play bass and not that little spindly thing that the other guy in the band plays! If you can find a good one, go for it!

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

Wow... 4 1/2+ years later!