Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any info on Agathis Wood ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ece99, Mar 4, 2003.

1. ece99

ece99

Jan 6, 2003
    I would like to know more about the wood
    called Agathis ?
    Anybody has more detail about it ?
    or any web site that i can read info.
    i checked google but found irrelevant sites.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did you do a search on talkbass? Seems to me that this came up before...not too long ago.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    AGATHIS

COMMON NAME: Damar Minyak (Malaysia), Malaya Pine, Almaciga (Philippines), Agathis (Indonesia)

BOTANICAL NAME: Agathis spp., Araucariaceaefamily. This wood is also closely related to Agathis australis of New Zealand (New Zealand Kauri).

HABITAT: For commercial purposes, Indonesia and Malaysia. Primarily a highland species.

DESCRIPTION: Agathis is a hardwood. Sapwood is not differentiated from the heartwood which is a cream, or a Birch color, occasionally with a pinkish tinge, darkening to a light golden brown. The finished wood has a lustrous appearance. The grain is straight and the texture fine and even. Rings of annual growth are very faint and difficult to see. Agathis is not durable under conditions favoring decay, but will receive preservatives readily. The wood is stable and will kiln dry without degrade. K.D. weight is approximately 2600# per MBF.

MACHINING: Agathis is easy to saw, plane, turn and carve. There is very little dulling effect on tool edges. It needs to be supported on the exit of the tool when boring as the wood is sometimes inclined to chip out. Agathis has excellent nailing and screwing properties and will laminate without problems. This wood takes stains uniformly and effectively, paints well, and polishes excellently.

USES: Turnery, carving, cabinet work, joinery, paneling, mouldings, door jambs, pattern making, boat masts, plywood.

MACHANICAL PROPERTIES: Shrinkage - Radial: 1.2%; Tangential: 2.2%. Compression Strength Parallel to the grain 33.6 n/mm2, Shear Strength 6.9 n/mm2

4. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Well, I was gonna make an informative post, but I would just feel dumb trying to follow up the last one. *claps* well done sir, I tip my hat to you.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL!!

Thanks... but all I did was copy and paste!!