Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any info on d'agastino basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I recently purchased a used d'agastino custom (nyc) 4 string bass from guitar center for around $150. It came without electronics but the construction is top notch. It appears to be kinda old and has a brass nut and brass engraved truss rod cover, metal inlays, p&j pickup configuration, neckthrough construction, all maple and the headstock has a neat shape cut into it with a d'agastino logo on the top (reminds me sort of like the carl thompson style). Anyone ever seen one of these? Any idea what they are worth? When they were made? I can't find any information on this. Once I buy some p&j pickups I'll see how this badboy growls.. heh.. Any help would be appreciated.:)

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm not sure this can help. i have never heard anything about d'agastino, but i know about D'AGOSTINO basses and guitars. they were labelled as made in the usa bue were made in italy. D'AGOSTINO was a brand of the EKO company totally made for the usa market were Eko was not so appreciated for quality. they were something like custom shop and they were great instruments. but i'm not so sure that your bass is one of them. do you have a pic? it will help a lot.
    this is a guitar, but basses were similar

http://www.jdmusic.com/DAgostino.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Hall/3880/strumen.htm

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    It is d'agostino, not with an 'a'. I quickly glanced at the truss rod cover and it looked like an 'a' originally. This will help a lot hopefully :) I might be able to find some webpages on the web if I'm lucky now. If you have anymore info, let me know. I'll try to get a quick webcam picture of the bass later and see if I can find anything on the web. Thanks.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ok, that's right! you have a great instrument for cheap in your hands! maybe you'll find interesting do some mods to the pickups, but woods, craftmanship and luthery are great! and i say this not because i'm from italy...

5. N3LSON

N3LSON

Feb 15, 2007
    I have a 5 string from D'Agostino New York. I am currently looking for replacement humbucker pickups for it but I can not find any info. :help:

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! This is interesting because my very first 5 string bass was a D'Agostino (passive/ wide spacing) but the nut was definitely not brass. I've not been able to gather any information on that brand either! I may have a picture lying around that I can post.