1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any info on my old jazz bass copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveNinja, Aug 19, 2012.

1. DaveNinja

DaveNinja

Jan 25, 2012
    Sacramento
    I got this used jazz bass copy about 20 years ago. It has no text or numbers anywhere visible on it. I'm trying to figure out if its worth fixing up (needs new bridge, pick ups and probably pots/jack). Today i took off the neck and found a sticker with a lot number and what looks like "M JB-355"

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Early Fernandes had a sticker like that.

3. DaveNinja

DaveNinja

Jan 25, 2012
    Sacramento
    Thanks!

Anyone know how to tell if its Japanese made vs Korean made?

the head shape is like a fender and not like some of the Fernandes heads i saw in pictures. A neck swap or did Fernandes make some with the fender style head?

4. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    That sticker is common to the Fuji-Jen factory in Japan in the early to mid 80's. I suggested Fernandes because they were a common "dead ringer" for Fenders of the era (including the headstock shape). Many "lesser" copies had the wrong body shape, wrong headstock shape or wrong pickup style.

5. DaveNinja

DaveNinja

Jan 25, 2012
    Sacramento
    I'll try and snap a couple pictures of the bass and post them. So did the Fuji-Jen factory make bodies and necks for a bunch of different companies in the mid 80s?

6. DaveNinja

DaveNinja

Jan 25, 2012
    Sacramento
    some pics. from what i read on the internet today, the "darker wood" on the fret board seems consistant with an 80s Fernandes reissue of a 60s Fender Jazz.

Attached Files:

7. DaveNinja

DaveNinja

Jan 25, 2012
    Sacramento
    more pics. the text on the head i put on with rub on letters. the head was blank on both sides when i got the bass

Attached Files:

8. DaveNinja

DaveNinja

Jan 25, 2012
    Sacramento
    final pics.

Attached Files: