Any info on this Fender telecaster/precision bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    The seller says he bought it brand new, is a MIM SN: MZ4108843, but looks to be a 50's style telecaster bass. I don't know much about fender basses, but though this one was only ever reissued as a Squier and it isn't the mike dirt bass. anyone have any info or ideas about this one? it does say fender on the headstock, not Squier. Thanks!

pbass1.jpg

pbass2.jpg

pbass3.jpg

2. It's a Mike Dirnt sig model with a changed pickguard

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    is it worth $250?

4. I'd say so

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Fender makes a Tele bass now, so it may be real, and they make them with the split coil like that and single coil too. Check the serial with them.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    plug the serial number into the app on the Fender website if possible. google it maybe. gl

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Affirmative to all the above ;)

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    the SN dates it to 2004-2005. i think its a mike dirnt p-bass. not a huge fan or 'artist' models, but i can pick this on cup for $250, so i may do it.

9. I guarantee it's a Mike Dirnt. The rosewood board and badass bridge are giveaways

10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    opinions on these? i'm just a guitar player looking for a bass to mess around with...i can pick it up for $250, possibly $200.

11. Big fat neck, ash body and a Custom Shop pickup. If you like the neck then it's a great P Bass. For $250 it's a no brainer. Even if you didn't like it you could flip it for $400 easy

12. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Sounds like a deal.

13. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    hell, that seller doesn't even know how to string a bass.

for 250$, it's a steal for a Fender Mike Dirnt P

14. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    yeah, i just noticed how it was strung! ha.

well, i pulled the trigger on it, and paid $200 cash and it also came with a roadrunner gig bag. not a bad score for a guitarist looking for a bass to noodle around with.

this thing is heavy, even for a bass. the neck is freakin' huge, like a baseball bat, which may be what determines if i keep it or not, but i know i can EAUILY get more for it than i paid, so i'm not worried and will try and bond with it. i used to have a baja telecaster, which has one of Fenders fattest necks, so fat necks are not foreign to me, but this one on this bass is pretty darn meaty. has a lot of sustain, and am guessing it will sound great.

it definitely is a dirt. the neck plate has a tiny star on it, the neck shape, pickup config on this one, etc. makes me pretty sure that's what it is.

my question to everyone on here is what is the usually string gauge people use? i am a d'addario guy, so i'll be picking up a set of those and setting it up to the fender specs that they have listed on their site (i use fender's specs when i set up my telecasters and it seems to work well for me).

thanks everyone for the help with this one. i wouldn't have pulled the trigger without your replies.

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Awesome score!

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

D'Addario makes fine bass strings. Chromes were what came on my 2010 Precision V when I bought it new. DR also makes great bass strings. It depends on if you want a Grindy piano tone or, something more subdued.
    Enjoy the massive neck. I prefer wide & fat on both basses & guitars. I want a Telecaster guitar but only the new AM ST's are widest at the nut. I also like the medium jumbo frets rather than the 'vintage' ones. Otherwise, almost any Telecaster would've fit the bill.

Very cool bass too! Nice score!

17. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    thanks! you should check out the fender baja telecaster or the james burton tele if you like fat necks.

18. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Sounds like a made a great score, enjoy. FWIW, I don't care for the D'Addario XL round-wounds, they're super bright (for a while) and then they go quite dead. If you want an recommendation on rounds, I'm pretty happy with the DR Sunbeams, there's lots of threads in the strings forum.

Does the Dirnt P have body contours like the Sting or is it more like the slab-bodied '51 re-issues? I loved my Sting, but the neck was just a tad too chunky for my hand, wonder if the Dirnt neck carve is similar.

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's DIRNT, not "dirt".

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Lordy, that's awesome! Mike Dirnt's used have a street value double that for sure. I'm not much a fan of the sound of them though, personally.

Back when the Badass bridges were getting extreme rates I bought a Mike Dirnt from a music store, parted it, and flipped it for over $100 profit...and that one was $450!

A

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021