1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any info out there on Yamaha B100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acolmiztli, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Acolmiztli

Acolmiztli

Mar 1, 2007
    tete_b100.jpg

I've bought one of these. Only mine looks a little different. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't take a photo. But mine has a silver woman just underneath the Yamaha logo. If I remember correctly, she has lovely long hair and has her leg showing.

Tag in the shop said the amp was from the 1980's. I got it for a pretty penny, but I can't find out jack about it!!

Anyone tell me anything about this amp at all?

Things I'm sure of: I'm sure it is solid state. There is no standby knob, and *usually* valve amps have easy access to the valve area. If however I am wrong, I would be pleasantly surprised. I don't actually mind solid state though, so I wouldn't be bummed if I was right.

I'm sure it is 100watt. At least in the shop it was labelled as such.

Only other thing I can find on it is this harmony central page: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Yamaha/B100+Head/10/1

But... when I tried it out for an hour or so in the shop, it didn't seem to have any kind of built in distortion like one of those reviews mentions. So that is kind of throwing me off.

Would it be worth mailing Yamaha to ask about the amp?

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Wow!, I had one similiar to that one in high school, mine was the B-100 single channel, I think there are variants like II and III. It is late 70's to early 80's and is 100 - 250 watts rms depending on the model. I bought mine used in 1980 and played it in the jazz ensemble 80' - 81' in high school and in our band outside of school. It was stolen my first year of college, it really bummed me out.

Though it looks like it could be tube, it is all solid state. I had a matched Yamaha 1-15" cabinet with mine. It sounded just like a tube amp, very warm like an Ampeg B-15, but to me it sounded better.

I have heard the more compact models of this amp and to me they do not compare. I had a chance to buy a B-100 a few years back that was in excellent condition for $150 but it got sold out from underneath me.

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I have a combo B100-112III. Solid-State, 100 WRMS at 8 Ohms. Picked it up used at one of the local GC stores a few years ago. Mine is LOUD. I got some info on it from Yamaha. I'll PM ya the dude's email addy.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's a B100 II, solid state.

5. Acolmiztli

Acolmiztli

Mar 1, 2007
    Thanks man. But that email didn't work!! I got this message back:

Well I bought this amp for guitar, not for bass. I also bought with it a Marshall JCM900 cab - the pair cost me £395.

I figured it was solid state coz I couldn't see any tubes. Also it only has the one channel, just like yours Clint.

So yeah, my amp looks EXACTLY like the one in the picture. Only difference is that mine has a silvery grey colour silhouette woman logo just underneath the Yamaha logo. I can't find any reference to this logo anywhere!!

I could only find the manual for the B100-III - which isn't the same type of amp, it has more channels for a start!

If you look closely in the pic, it's actually labelled as the "b100s" - but that reveals nothing on Google, just more confusion. haha.

The panel is exactly the same as the one you posted Clint. Which begs the question, what are the differences??

edit: it isn't a b100s. I just saw glenn's response, the s is actually a II. damn that blurriness!!

6. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hey guys, this is an old thread I dug up. There is one locally in a pawn shop I could probably get for $100. B100II I think. When I looked at the back it said 180w and I thought I saw a tube or 2. Are you guys saying that is still solid state or was there a tube version made? If so for a $100 I'll grab it what the hell. Anyone able to clear this up with out me driving back over there? Thanks.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    all of them were solid state. you probably mistook a 'can' type filter capacitor for a tube. i tried some of them back in the late 70's / early 80's, although they were fairly well made, they never had any real low end for me.

8. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Ok thanks. I think your right. In fact if you look close at the photo above you can see what I was talking about below the EQ section. Just thought it would be interesting if it were actually a 180w tube amp sitting in a PS for $100...!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021