Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KMAzz, Mar 25, 2004.

1. KMAzz

KMAzz

Mar 25, 2004
    I have a Kramer Aluminum late 70's DMZ 4001 bass. I was just wondering if any of you know how much its worth. Any info you may have on it. Likes dislikes etc. thanks guys

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In really clean shape it's worth $4-500 with case.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have one similar to that

Likes- I like the fretless tone
    Dislikes- Heavy, Weak output from the pickup

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Attributing the instruments to Gary Kramer, solely, is a little deceiving. Kramer was a partner ot Travis Bean before he went on his own..

The company was actually named BKL - Denniis Berardi, a retailer who became a designer, and Kramer founded the company in `75. Peter LaPlaca, who was with the awful Norlin Corp. who owned Gibson during the "dark" years, joined the company and became VP......hence the initials, "BKL."

The factory opened in `76. The first Kramer instruments were codesigned by luthier Phil Petillo, Berardi, and Kramer and the first production run was completed in Nov. of that year.
    Kramer left the company one month later.

When I was looking for a good bass to take on tour in the 70's, I tried Beans and Kramers. Beautiful as they were, I couldn't take the "ping" and ring that the aluminum components produced (way more than my Rick 4001 with Rotosound roundwounds)....(remember - amps were relatively primitive then and bass effects/pedals/preamps were pretty much non-existent).

5. KMAzz

KMAzz

Mar 25, 2004
    Thanks everyone

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Is that the one with the alu fretboard? I'd love to hear some clips of it! Im a bit curious how it sounds...

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    They have a phenolic fretboard, it is similar to graphite.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Then why did they call it aluminium? :confused:

Anyway, thx. Just thought there were more of these kind of instruments around - like LeFay, AFAIK had a bass that had a steel FB, and I have even seen an Arabian erm ... hows it called? the dictionary says cithern and lute, but i know its not its name... anyway seen an eastern band that had this instrumen with a metallic FB and it had an interesting sound compared to the others

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The neck is aluminum with wood stringers, the fretboard is phenolic

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Got any pictures of it? Im interested in maybe buying one of these in the future.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe that worked?

Nope, I took the pictures but how do I insert them into a post?