Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any instructors near Prescott, AZ for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bronson Myers, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Bronson Myers

Bronson Myers

Feb 24, 2002
    OK, I am completely new to the bass, just getting mine tomorrow. All I know are the open strings, how to read TAB and bass cleff. Key signatures, tempo, musical terms, and time signatures I know from my experience with my clarinet. I would be learning something from my orchestra (or strings, as they call it:rolleyes:) class, but since they only have a beginner class open, it's just like re-learning everything on my clarinet except on a cello. My brother, a bassist, can provide help, but is mainly an EB bassist, and doesn't do much stand up. My ears have been 'trained' very well, and I am forced to tune precisely on my clarinet, but I have more trouble hearing intonation in the lower ranges, because they are new to me. I know pizz. kind of (teaching myself) but arco, I have heard there are many dis-simialarities between that of the bass and that of the cello. And all I know is really, that I am going to need an instructor, because a local violen group is in need of a bassist, and they are giving me a couple of months to really warm up to the instrument and give them a deep backbone to their band. Well, thank you for considering, and BTW I live with my parents and I have cash to burn, hopefully.:rolleyes:

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I might know a teacher in Tempe, thats's close to Prescott by Arizona standards. If you are interested I will contact Kathy W. and ask her if she wants to take on a student. She is a music teacher, has played in the Tempe Symphony for over twenty years was in All State Orchestra several years while in high school. She knows her stuff.
    Joe