Any instructors near Prescott, AZ for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bronson Myers, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Bronson Myers

Bronson Myers

Feb 24, 2002
    OK, I am completely new to the bass, just getting mine tomorrow. All I know are the open strings, how to read TAB and bass cleff. Key signatures, tempo, musical terms, and time signatures I know from my experience with my clarinet. I would be learning something from my orchestra (or strings, as they call it:rolleyes:) class, but since they only have a beginner class open, it's just like re-learning everything on my clarinet except on a cello. My brother, a bassist, can provide help, but is mainly an EB bassist, and doesn't do much stand up. My ears have been 'trained' very well, and I am forced to tune precisely on my clarinet, but I have more trouble hearing intonation in the lower ranges, because they are new to me. I know pizz. kind of (teaching myself) but arco, I have heard there are many dis-simialarities between that of the bass and that of the cello. And all I know is really, that I am going to need an instructor, because a local violen group is in need of a bassist, and they are giving me a couple of months to really warm up to the instrument and give them a deep backbone to their band. Well, thank you for considering, and BTW I live with my parents and I have cash to burn, hopefully.:rolleyes:

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I might know a teacher in Tempe, thats's close to Prescott by Arizona standards. If you are interested I will contact Kathy W. and ask her if she wants to take on a student. She is a music teacher, has played in the Tempe Symphony for over twenty years was in All State Orchestra several years while in high school. She knows her stuff.
    Joe