1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any interest on building a Rick 4005 style?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 3rdWatch, Apr 21, 2009.

1. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    I recently digitized someone elses sketches, and created a basic 3D solid model of a Rickenbacker 4005 body minus the tailpiece scallop. Can easily IGES transfer the file to any CAM program, would anyone like to make some re-issues, since Rickenbacker won't!!!!
    I sure would love one, but since I sold all 3 of mine, I can'tr afford another @$6K+
    Grrr....:mad::help:

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well, sure. if you want i can do it. im not one the professional guys like wilser or anything. but im quite good at what i do, and im trying to get into bass building more for customers. so if you want, pm me. if you want someone a little more experianced, then thats ok too.

3. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I'd be careful about you advertising that you can offer Ric 4005 reprodctos for two reasons:

a) You're not a commercial user on TB.

b) Hall doesn't take on too kindly on luthiers copying Rickenbacker designs, even if they haven't been in production since the dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

Many peple get away with it by calling it another name and never mentioning Rickenbacker ever, changing some pieces of the design, etc. Personal production is fine, but I doubt commercial would fly in the US.

4. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    All points well taken.
    Although, I disagree with John Hall's past statements about tooling costs vs. demand (I honestly think there'd be more takers than he thought!) my only interest was making one for my enjoyment (hence the modeling time), with some more modern bridge/pick-up appointments. Sigh, If I had just kept my 67'fireglo, 79 Azureglo, or my 84' Jetglo...Dooh!

5. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Well, I did get a quote from a reputable bass builder, but it was a bit pricey at the time for my wallet....Not sure how far to take, body only, with bolt on pocket, pick-up & bridge route, or a whole bass.