1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any interesting Holiday gigs ?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by portpc, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. portpc

portpc

May 31, 2011
    This evening I have a (1) hour gig at an Assisted Living facility performing Holiday Music etc for a crowd mostly consisting of Dementia & Alzheimers inflicted folks.

They totally love live music, They say the resonance of music is one of the last things a person loses when life goes south..It's a sad but also rewarding gig.

New Years Eve I have a Church gig, one that just fell into my lap, It's the "N Years' Eve early bird special" 6-9PM.
    Can't beat those hours & get home before the crazys ' make driving dangerous..

While typically high paying , nothing has depressed me more in the past then ringing in the New Year while performing to a dizzy-lost soul bar stool crowd. I am thankful that is not the case!
    (N Y Eve weddings are also a bit odd/edgy, I've done in the past..)

Curious of any folks have any interesting gigs this Holiday Season?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Just a private NYE gig about 20 minutes from home with my classic country band. Should be about 150-ish people judging by previous years. I purposefully left this last weekend open, and of course Christmas weekend. January starts slow, then I'm flat out every weekend until April.

portpc likes this.
  3. Played a great Christmas party at the home of a local chiropractor recently. He owns a large chiropractic facility and employs a number of other doctors. Needless to say, his digs are phenomenal. He and his wife are great people, as were all others in attendance. At the request of some happy hangers-on, we played 45 minutes past our allotted tine. Dinner was catered, the homeowner made top-shelf beverages available all evening, and there were no complaints about the pay. Refreshing, fun gig.

If I understood correctly, I think we're scheduled to play a cigar lounge somewhere in Atlanta for New Year's Eve. I'm blowing out of here tomorrow, heading to Colorado to spend the holidays with family, and will be probably be back in town just in time to change clothes and head right back out of state for the gig. I personally gave up smoking a long time ago, but the very notion of playing a cigar lounge appeals to me. I still love the smell of fine tobacco, and a snifter of cognac would have a charm all its own.

Happy Holidays, TalkBass!

portpc likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just did a gig at a winery last weekend. Two acoustic guitars, bass and drums doing a mix of cover and original blues tunes. Started the load out just as the snow started coming down.

portpc likes this.
  5. Yep, doing an All-Star Jam New Year's Eve day at a beach side club.
    Drummer and I will be backing a cavalcade of local musicians for 3 hours.
    No better way to keep your chops up than playing with different musicians
    and learning to walk without tripping through songs you've never played.
    Fortunately, most the musicians cycling through give you a heads up on key, chords and turnarounds.

portpc, pappabass and Bassed in NZ like this.
  6. A fight broke out between two ladies at a gig last weekend. I'll keep you posted....

7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Played my yearly Christmas party ... No more gigs lined up until May. Preparing to settle into depression for the winter .. ;)

growlypants and portpc like this.
  8. dubstacy

dubstacy

Jan 27, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    Nothing too crazy... tonight, a country bar in Shawnee, OK- then 2 Christmas Eve shows/ Church gigs at 5:15 & 7:00 pm, Then Christmas morning at 10:30 am- followed by a bar gig later that evening

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    New Country at a busy bar.

10. Bow tie

Bow tie

Jan 9, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Played a X-mas eve eve gig at the nicest dive bar I ever been in. The most nervous I've ever been - just meet these guys last week, and it's all originals. I KNEW I didn't know the music well enough and had to have my crib notes on a music stand. Very nervous making. Luckily, only one blatant mistake. Good crowd too. Feel like I got away with one. IMG_20161223_223519036.

GregC, Bunk McNulty, portpc and 2 others like this.
  11. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Not sure it counts, but I played at our church's Christmas Eve service yesterday (no Christmas service since there's no boat or plane service, and the pastor doesn't stay here if she can help it- there's a rectory house, but it's not her home, and furnished with mostly donated furnishings).

Turned out she was ill and had no voice, so the lay pastor had to improvise. I ended up having to play twice, and the pianist said we could play Away in the Manger twice, the second time without vocals.

Without singing she got lost in the song, and was playing different chords than I. I moved toward the piano and spoke the words/chords quietly, and we ended up getting together.

The congregation probably didn't notice, except for a guy on the worship committee who "volunteered me" (2 weeks ago he told me I'd be doing Away in the Manger as part of the service. Told him I could probably work it out, go online and find the chords. He's not a musician at all, and every enamored with my playing, so probably thinks I'm a musical genius who can play every song out there). He said tactfully you sounded much better the fist time around.

But, it was all for Glory, so that makes it great!

12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We have a New Year's Eve gig booked at an American Legion hall about a 1/2 hour drive from my house. It's a nice, big hall but the acoustics are bad. We are getting paid decent but less than I used to get for New Year's Eve 35 years ago. Either way, we play 9:30 - 12:30 and get fed too. It should be a good crowd as long as the weather is okay.

Jimmy4string and pappabass like this.
  13. I have a Jam at the local American Legion it's always pretty fun on the 30th.

portpc and Jimmy4string like this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Redhead will spend New Year's Eve at a bowling alley in Vernon, CT. Last time we were here (before the election) we watched a young woman punch her date so hard she knocked him out of the booth he was sitting in. Then she kicked him in the head a few times. As the police arrived, we were finishing up "Stairway To Heaven" which seemed strangely appropriate. Our BL said "I don't know what he said to her, but I bet he never says it again." We found out later he was praising Donald Trump.

15400461_715222048654686_6968670859701953233_n.

GregC and Jimmy4string like this.
  15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    pictures ;)

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  16. My (primary) band's final 2 shows are Saturday night (NYE) and Sunday afternoon, both at friendly venues that always have good crowds. Should be a blast, especially Sunday. Then 6 weeks off before my other band's next show.

17. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    HEY!! At least you're in a band!!

18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Ah, good news! I have a place to sleep tonight near the gig so I don't have to get out on I-91 at 2 am and deal with the drunks.

portpc and BrewsterRooster like this.