Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Issues With Older CA9s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just picked up one of a gaggle of CA9s on the Bay. They are listed as older models, from around 1997. Are there any known issues with a CA this old?

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Search!
    I know someone here said that as a sound support company, or repair engineer, or something, they serviced a lot of first gen ca9's...can't remember who that was off the top of my head tho. Call crest and see if there's service bullitnes or updates they feel are important.

3. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I was one of those folks bidding against you. I ended up getting the one of the CA 4's from the same seller

4. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I was told by pro audio salesman at Washington Music that right before Peavey bought Crest that almost everything that came from the NJ plant was bad right out of the box. So much so that they sent everything from that point in time back to Crest. Once production was moved to Meridian Miss. the problems went away. I kind of think that was true because I got 2 that flashed and blew up right out of factory sealed boxes? The third came from Miss. and worked like a champ.

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I think the Washington Music story is utter crap. Do they even sell Crest? I have found that a lot of stores tend to bash what they don't sell, mainly 'cuz they couldn't buy a clue with a freighter full of cash . . . I have used a lot of CA series, and never had a bad one, and the x000/x001 series are a touring standard. Personally, I think that Peavy can only drag Crest down.

Now, having said that, the very early CA series did have a preamp issue, and Crest modified these amps no charge (I had three done). I don't recall when the CA line came out, but I think it was well before 1997, so I think those should be fine, although a call to Crest couldn't hurt. Mine have run for at least 5 hours a day for the last 10 years or so, with zero failures. Opened them up to clean the heatsinks once, but that was it . . . .

- Tim

6. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Washington Music does sell Crest, they sell every price point of Crest amps and push the CA series as a great low frequency amp. (bass rig, sub amp etc.)

I got this story from them, not because they were trying to "talk down" crest amps as you suggest. I had bought a Crest amp from Mars music because a friend worked there and gave me a good deal but it was bad right out of the box. So he found another amp in Mars inventory and had it shipped in and it too was bad right out of the box. At that point I went to Washington Music because they actually had CA's in stock and I could test the amp at the store before buying it. It was at that point that the salesman at Washington music told me about the defects from the NJ plant and that Washington music had already returned and received replacements for all the stock they had in inventory.

Now having said that.........the amp they sold me worked flawlessly and coincidentally was manufactured in Meridian Mississippi while the 2 amps that I got from Mars that were bad right out of the box came from the NJ plant!

Now having said that.....Washington music is one of the largest retailers in the country and I have always found their sales staff to very knowledegable about the products they sell so I really have no reason to disbelieve their explanation....especially since my own experience seemed to validate their story.

Utter crap? Whatever!

7. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

have had no problems with my CA-9 so far.....but just got it a few weeks ago. I remember hearing that some of the earlier models had issues with the input board or something and were recalled to replace that. Do a search, you may find more about it, or call Crest with the serial # and ask.

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Perhaps there was a bad run . . . . and since they sell Crest, there is a bit more credibility. If I had $1 for every time a salespuke at a store gave me bullcrap about a brand they didn't sell, I wouldn't have to work. Heck, I had a guy at gui**** Center here in the Dallas area swear to me that Music Man had been bought by Fender, and that all MM bassed came from the Fender factory. Odd, considering that the CEO and owner of Ernie Ball/Music Man frequents his own forum, and was totally unaware. Simple point is, MOST (not all) music store sales types peak out their skill set when they find out how to get to work in the morning . . . . and this sounded just like another one of those "classic clueless" stories . . .

- Tim

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It shipped today, we'll see when it gets here. I searched the posts, and all I need to do is determine where the bridged-mono switch is to tell me the full story. I'm giddy as school girl!

10. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I bought one from the same auction lot. The photo of the sample one shown in the auction shows the bridge-mono, stereo, and parallel switches on the back of the chassis...so it should be--I'm counting on it anyway-- "newer" than ones that previously had the switch inside the chassis. I don't know anything about quality during the transitional years.