Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any James Jamerson jazz recordings out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This thread is as much about a bassist as it is about recordings, so I'm not sure where to post it. So I'll do what everyone else does: Post it here and let the mod figure it out.:p

While Motown did provide Jamerson with an outlet for his creativity and material so he could be recognized (How many unique voices are not heard because no one started a successful record company in their town?), It also limited him because he was bound to the stylistic confines of Motown music.

I think we must dissociate Jamerson's personal voice from Motown as we have dissociated Jaco's voice from Weather Report's (It's easier with Jaco because of his solo work).

SITSOM, the book, has a list of some of JJ's non Motown credits. He seems to have recorded with Yusef Lateef, Quincy Jones, John Handy (Former Mingus sideman, on an album called Carnival and Stanley Turrentine, among others (most probably).

Since Jamerson was a jazz lover, I feel we might be missing a very important piece of information about him. Has anyone heard any of these recordings? Does anyone know of any Jamerson Jazz recordings?

The truth is out there.:bassist:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Think about what you just said mister! :spit:

:p

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That was a joke!

Nobody understands my genius.:crying:

Question's serious, though.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know, I know.

And to answer your question, I know nothing about these recordings, and I have never heard them( to my knowledge)

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You CAN pick up a phone you know! :D

Did anyone know that The Four Tops were a jazz band? For 10 years prior to their first hit with Motown, they toured singing jazz. Berry Gordy wanted to sign them, they wanted to sing jazz, not what they called "pop." Eventually The Four Tops found there calling, but not before Berry Gordy let them record their jazz album. It was called Breaking Through. It stayed on the shelves for many many years. But, on it you can hear the Four Tops sing "On the Street Where You Live", "Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You," "I Left My Heart in San Francisco," and more.

Johnny Griffith on piano, Earl Van Dyke on organ, Joe Messina on guitar, Pistol Allen on Drums, and a certain Mr. James Jamerson on bass.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I like to see my name on the screen. :p

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

<marquee>BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! BLACKBIRD! ! ! </MARQUEE>

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I believe jamerson also wrote a tune called "Fever in the Funk House" which appeared on an OOP Earl Van Dyke album and was rereleased on a compilation. I've been looking for it for over a year, so it seems really rare.

I quincy jones's double LP, "I heard that" which has jamerson and a plethora of other great musicians including bassists: Ray Brown, Stanley Clarke, Alphonso Johnson, jamerson, louis johnson, chuck rainey, and carol kaye (i believe she played jamerson's tracks, too :rolleyes: ;) :p .)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JJ with Quincy Jones was also in a Pop format; check out Body Heat...very nice version of the Ware/Sawyer classic, "If I Ever Lose This Heaven".

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I had been waiting for I Heard That! to emerge on cd for awhile...now I don't care(with the recent Philips burner purchase).
    I Heard That! is a 2-record set-
    It contains some new stuff("What Good Is A Song", "You Have To Do It Yourself", etc) with some 'old hits'(like "Killer Joe", "Theme From The Anderson Tapes", etc).
    Rainey does a very nice job on the new stuff.

There's an instrumental track that kills me called "Midnight Soul Patrol" with Louis Johnson, Stanley Clarke, & Alphonso Johnson all playing bass(AJ plays the groove...Louis & Stanley duel it out in solo-ville).

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Before my current band settled on a name, we had two working band names we used, neither of which we loved, that were variations of this tune. We were either Midnight Soul Theory or Soul Patrol.