Any Jazz fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by uhdum, Oct 16, 2002.

1. uhdum

Oct 15, 2002
    I'm new so this may be a question asked a lot...but are there any jazz fans out there? I enjoy playing jazz more than any other genre.
  2. Welcome to Talkbass! There are a few hard-core jazz freaks here (mostly in the Double Bass forums, but some that hang out in these forums too). There are a number of us toy-bassists who are into other-than-straight-ahead jazz, and many who, though they do not play jazz, enjoy listening to it and can be quite informative on the subject.

3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Man, I can't even get my hands around a DB neck, but that doesn't stop me from loving the music! Here's what's in my cd changer right now:

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
    John Coltrane "Best of...''
    Phil Keaggy "Lights of Madrid"
    Victor Wooten "Show of Hands"
    Dave Matthews Band "Live in Chicago"

I guess I just like listening to different styles!
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, as long as it's not smooth jazz. That overproduced swill makes me ill.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My name is Boplicity and I am a smooth jazz fan.

I'm one who dares to confess to enjoying smooth (lite, soft, contemporary, easy) jazz. I confess to owning all of Fourplay's records. I have been a fan of Sade for years. I really like Diane Krall, too. (Yes, some call her music "lite" jazz and some call it more serious jazz.) I like more recent Bob James and Kenny G's two Christmas albums are staples of my holiday listening. I also love Dave Koz' album "A Smooth Jazz Christmas."

Dang, I even like Rick Braun and Boney James, Lee Rittenour and Larry Carlton. Hopeless, I know.

I also confess to having enjoyed bossa nova for thirty five years even though the form has taken on a lounge lizard bad rep in recent years.

But liking smooth jazz does not preclude my appreciation of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" or his "Porgy and Bess" or many other jazz greats such as Herbie Hancock, Chic Corea, Pat Matheny, and many of the great swing band names and Latin jazz, too. But I just don't like bebop or free jazz. Can't make myself like it. No way.

That said, I do remain an unrepentent fan of smooth jazz and am one of the folks who helped to make Kenny G's first CD the largest selling instrumental album in the history of recorded music. All that means, I guess, is that I am not alone in my appreciation of smooth jazz. But I may be one of the few who admit to the quilty pleasure.
  6. I enjoy a lot of bebop. I love Charlie Parker. I'm into a lot of the hard bop guitarists such as Wes Montgomery, and guys who mix it up with funk and the organ trio vibe like Pat Martino and George Benson. I like John Coltrane and I'm starting to get into Sonny Rollins.

I also listen to a lot of "fusion" (for lack of better term) like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Chick Corea Electric Band, Gary Willis, Steve Smith's various projects etc.
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I love Jazz. Both straight Jazz, and Fusion and Jazz-Funk and the like too. Herbie Hancock is a favourite, also Chick Corea, Miles, Jaco.
  8. Genie of Funk

Genie of Funk

Oct 17, 2002
    Check out Some Of the more recent John Schofield Releases.
    A Go Go.

Nice Grooves Nice Bass Too.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm a member of the Brighton Jazz club!! ;)

I have a small green card to prove it!
  10. Bopicity,

You are not alone. I enjoy listening to many of those artists you mentioned. I absolutely love Diana, and have been a Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton fan since way back. Oh, I love bossa too. On the other hand, I dislike Kenny with a passion.

11. hmmm... i own more contemporary jazz cd's than all other styles combined. here are some in my listening rotation.....

contemporary jazz:

spyro gyra
    jeff lorber
    chick corea's electrik band

fusiony stuff:

bela fleck & the flecktones

steamy stuff:

traditional jazz:

diana krall

my ultimate goal is to play contemporary jazz, with the drums - bass - keys - sax - guitar ensemble. someday when i grow tired of the cover band and find other jazz addicts....

12. Boplicity

You know what...Kenny G seems to arouse more dislike here at TalkBass than anyone except Fieldy. I loved his album "Songs in the Key of G" and his two holiday albums. I'm not really sure why he inspires so much contempt, unless maybe his long, curly locks and that little saxophone are the antithesis of most macho sax players.

I would be curious to know one thing. G has sold gazillions of CDs, but I wonder if most of the buyers are women. He might be to contemporary jazz what Michael Bolton is to crooners. But that is just a guess. Many, many folks do buy G's CDs. There must be something that appeals to his buyers.
  13. Boplicity

BlimpLizkit, your CD collection looks almost identical to mine.
  14. I think you're probably right about that. In my case, I just think that all his tunes sound the same.
  15. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    it seems to me! a lot of modern society is missing out! soooo many people think its 'not cool' to like jazz, they have some weird idea of it like its all 1 thing.. all sounding like 1 blaring sax and nothing else. its SO MUCH MORE!

people need to get away from these sociopolitical devices that chain them down! and listen to jazz! there has got to be at least 1 style, 1 band in the huge umbrella of jazz that any 1 person in the world would like.... its a whole world of music that fits under the name of 'Jazz' (and many people would be suprised they might already be listening to Jazz and not KNOW IT! (like certain HIP-HOP, take away the lyrics and its "jazz"... a good voice in this catagory is the great 'Jazzmatazz' volumes by Guru, featuring famous jazz musicians live jazz, with hip hop lyrics on top) *rap is not hip-hop!*)
    its good to hear a new jazz fan around! i grew up on it (still not old yet!) and i feel its great! for anyone to listen to, and learn from.

my opinion: stay away from BLINK 182 and go listen to some real music!

ok there im done! have a nice day =)
    enjoy my puny rantings ;-)
  16. Bruce Lindfield

I have couple of Guru CDs including the original Jazzmatazz and I do like them - good stuff! But it's certainly not Jazz!! ;)
  17. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i say it is! ;-)

ok its not strict hardcore but its the closest some people ever get to jazz!
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Hardcore Jazz? :eek:

Hard Bop maybe, but.... ;)