1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any jazz players with Kaplan...?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Simon L, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Simon L

Simon L

Sep 8, 2018
    Hi

Would like to know if some of you tried those for a jazz purpose and how was it?

Thanks

2. It’s probably not the best choice for jazz.

3. Simon L

Simon L

Sep 8, 2018
    I know but i don't like growl and sustain that much so i've put Helicore Orchestral but the Kaplan seems nice.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I think the Kaplan may be dark like Heli's, but a little looser feeling, so I think they could be a better choice for jazz pizz.

I'll add that I think the Heli Orch are a poor choice for jazz. I've had many students come in with these strings and after changing to something more pizz oriented, their basses come to life and are easier to play.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Chris Fitzgerald and Simon L like this.
  5. rknea

rknea

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID

I have Kaplans on my Krutz hybrid and I'm looking to go to something that's more pizz oriented as I play in a big band as well as 5 piece jazz group and pizz only. I know I'd be giving up some things with a lighter string, however I'm assuming it would be easier to play. Is that a correct assumption? And secondarily...you mention your students changing to something more "pizz oriented"...what would you suggest??

Thanks in advance!

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    There are many...Spiro Weichs (brighter) and Evah Pirrazi Weichs (darker), Zyex Lights (I'm using these now) and for less money, Helicore Pizz and Hybrid. All of these strings are bowable, too. You have to see how they respond and sound on your bass to really know if you like them.

rickwolff likes this.
  7. rknea

rknea

Jan 16, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Thanks Eric...are the Zyex Lights a bit easier on your hand, requiring a bit less "downward" pressure than a medium string?

Rick

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes they are. One of the reasons I've been using them. One of my students had some kind of stiff, dark orchestra string on his ply bass and I gave him a set of my well used Zyex. The bass sang.

rknea likes this.
  9. Simon L

Simon L

Sep 8, 2018
    I put a Zyex light set on my bass ....good pizz strings (on the brighter side) ok for the bow too but really weird A string ...

10. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    People hate bowing the Zyex A string. D’addario Doesn’t seem to care

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Spiro Weichs are good on those basses.

12. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yes, I just replaced the Kaplans on my Krutz carved bass with Spiro Weichs. Only played one gig with them but enjoying the change especially pizz.

Greg Clinkingbeard likes this.
  13. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I have Kaplans on my bass, because I play also in an orchestra. They kinda work for jazz with proper EQ settings, but for pure jazz playing I would rather choose other strings - Hybrids for example.

14. Michal, try ‘em with an Underwood. It makes them sound like Spiros on my bass. Craziness...

15. Flexocore Deluxe might be a good orchestra string that could be used for jazz pizz well. When I heard Ken Filiano in NYC, he was using Flexocore Deluxe on his main bass and got a very great pizz tone out of them.

Selim likes this.