1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Jeff Ament fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Not4You, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Not4You

Not4You

Apr 6, 2006
    You gotta love his work in PJ and Three Fish. Really the only "rock" bassist I know of who uses a standup.

2. i like him...very cool basslines in Ten

3. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I loooove Pearl Jam!! The band of my life!! I went their 2nd show in Sao Paulo last year...best show of my life!!
    And of course Jeff was awesome in the show, really locking with Matt and! Got to love the bass in Tremor Christ and In Hinding.

4. I am a big Ament fan, mostly the earlier stuff songwise - Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone too. Favorite bass tracks are:

• Rats - PJ (VS) wicked grooving rhythmic pattern, very fun to play!
    • Breath - PJ (Singles) mmm, fretless!
    • Jeremy - PJ (Ten) hooray 12 string!
    • Pushing Forward Back - TOTD (TOTD) bass drives that song!
    • This is Sangrila - MLB (MLB) love his line here, great example of playing for a song while keeping it interesting.

I have lots interest in PJ as of late, seems like they are making obtuse music on purpose. I give them credit for doing what they want but, not my thing.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Great band, awesome player, and a huge influence on me for many years.

6. p58

p58

Dec 17, 2005
    Slovakia
    i like his bass on TEN and his style on old records. doubled string basses create wery unique sound in pearl jam stuff.:bassist:

7. that fretless sound on "Oceans" floors me!
    wowowowow!

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I'm a huge fan of Ament, but not so much the newer, whinier version of PJ, so I'm sticking to my VS. & TEN guns, so to speak.

That whole era of PJ was where they shined.

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    One of the most innovative Rock players to come around in a long time..

Slug

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005

No Code and Yields are far bettet than Ten and VS.

11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    oh, lets not forget the crazy groove in Push Me Pull Me

12. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i like his work.....but not a hardcore fan of him or P.J.

i like the first two cd's the most...

13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Ten and VS are easy to like, but the geniallity of the band really shines in Vitalogy, No Code, Yield and Binaural.

14. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i heard that the last cd is really good, but i haven't have a chance to check it out

15. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005

They will release thir 8th album May 2nd, it will be self-titled. PJ really shines alive and i assure you that you cant find any band that has more bootlegs :D

16. Not4You

Not4You

Apr 6, 2006
    I agree. Very underrated albums.

Has anyone heard his stuff on Three Fish? Very eastern and exotic. Good experimentation.

17. i was in new york last weekend to play a show and sat right underneath the jazz bass he used to record vs. at hard rock in times square! and the other cool part...my bass looks the exact same. black jazz with red tort p/g and rw neck....but his is orig 60's ;)

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    One of my favorite rock players! I saw him with Pearl Jam a bunch, very exciting live player too! I'm also a big fan of Three Fish.

19. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Great bassist, great bands!

20. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    [​IMG]

He has a neck humbucker in some of his Jazz Basses and also on those Jaguar/non-reverse shaped basses. Does he run that pickup onto it's own channel or blends it with the others?